• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

newbie - just started tailwheel training in the Super Cub

N74DV

I'm building a Pietenpol Aircamper (a taildragger) and am about 9 months from finishing. Time to get that tailwheel endorsement so I can build up some tailwheel time before that magnificent day of the first flight of my Aircamper!

I started training in a Super Cub out at Chandler Air Service in Chandler, AZ 4 days ago. I now have about 4 hours in it and I am beginning to like it. The first 3 hours had me wondering if I could catch on to this tailwheel thing but in the 4th hour something clicked and I am getting a good grasp on things. I managed 4 wheel landings today and only bounced on one of them.

I think I'm going to really enjoy taildraggers! I can see where being a good tailwheel pilot will help you be a good "nosedragger" pilot too.

Anyways.... just wanted to stop in and say hey.... now that I'll be flying Super Cubs for a while I figured I'd join the forum and learn all I can.

Welcome. I love flying Pietenpols. I have a project upstairs in my hanger. maybe I'll get to it after I finish my Clipper and L18C projects. Of course there is the Acro Sport project too. I have to many projects.

The EAA at our local grass field built a Piet as a project. They've had a good time flying it.

Spend some time reading the posts on this site: you will save yourself time and money. You will also get some great advice from a solid bunch of Cub aviators and make some good friends during your journey--sounds like you are enjoying the journey already.

well... it's been several months since my first post. I've got about 30 hours of SuperCub time now. The tailwheel sign-off went well.

Going flying in the SC tomorrow morning. I pretty much just stay in the pattern for about 45 minutes practicing different types of landings/configurations.

What a fun airplane! I love it!!

N74DV,
Glad the cub training is going well. I flew the cubs at Chandler Air Service for about 6 years before I moved back home to AK. Have you had a chance to fly the Husky? I would be interested in what an unbiased tailwheel trainee has to say about the differences (I have my own opinion). Say hello to 528 and 01E for me. Who's your instructor at CAS?

Jeff Sever
Anchorage, AK

I flew with David K. Great instructor! I try to fly 01E if it's available but sometimes I'm left with 528.

They had another but lost it to a nose-over a couple months back.

I was looking at the NTSB accident website and founf that 01E and 528 have both been in many accidents. It's a wonder they still fly!

I'm scheduled to go tomorrow morning for an hour. Probably leave the pattern this time and buzz around the desert.

Haven't flown the Husky yet..... may get a checkout in that sometime.

Chandler Air Service

I Just got back from a week at Chandler doing their Basic aerobatic/unusual attitude training. It was my second rotation there, what a great place!!

I had met a young girl there, didnt get her name, but she an up and commer. She had just solo'd a SC on Friday (19 YO) , and from what I was told she was the youngest Iditarod participant when she was 16. I guess her dad is a bush pilot in Alaska. She's well on her way. (I wonder where the girls who liked airplanes were when I was younger?)

Anyway, it was great to see a young person "on fire" for aviation.

Joe

Ellie Clause??? Entered the Ididtirod just days after her 18 birthday last year. Her dad is Paul Clause featured in the Jack Daniels ad featured in another post here some time back, of Ultima Thule outfitters on the Chitna River AK. Stopped and visited them last year. Amazing place and wonderful people. Paul and dad John have put their lives into making the place a one of a kind. Paul now flies a turbine otter for exploring places where"No one has been before"! I first visited them in '92 while working at Icy Bay. They have since moved their entire lodge and all outbuildings up on the hill to escape the Chitna's erosion. Quite a project and very nice people,
85Mike

Chandler

Yes,
Ellie, that her. Nice kid. I believe she is staying with one of their instructors. From the sound of it, she has a bright future. Like I said, Its great to see young people into aviation. Only one of my three kids are intrested, and he does not want to "work" for it, would rather have dad pay. Oh well,

Joe

Back