• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cooling the oil temp sensor, or what?...

sekps

Lund, Sweden
Hi,

When I bought my L-18C there was a duct going from the engine baffle to a kind of "cap" over the oil temp sensor (C90-8F).

It was quite ugly and I couldn't really see the use so I simply removed it and sealed the hole in the baffle...

I guess I wouldn't do such a thing today without asking first, but why would you need cooling the oil temp sensor?

/Mattias

The PA16 and Taylorcraft F21 has the same thing. Probably for certification to cool the oil temp probe so it appears that the oil temp is lower than it is.

Steve is probably right. This is a common and known fix for the C-170 planes.

Bill

Cooool Oil

Untill someone drill and taps a temp. sensor into the oil cooler cover plate on the left side of the engine and gets an accurate reading with the engine running with and without air blowing over the screen, no one will ever know for sure. Untill then it's all speculation. I personally lean towards the theory that it works, because it will raise the oil pressure when the temp comes down by blowing the screen. If it were a false reading that shouldn't happen. Jerry. :)

I thought it was a dumb idea so I took it off of my brothers 172. Oil temp indicator went sky high in the hot Texas summer so we put it back on.

Our 1959 PA-18 w/C90 came from Lock Haven with the same ducting. The first few years of Sentimental Journey I was checking to see if other 18-90's had the same thing. Found 2 or 3 that didn't. . . and others that did. When I asked the owners if their bird ever had it . . they didn't know . .as they had not owned them very long.

Back