• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Header Tank leak

Staggerwingse17b

Hi Everyone,

We have a L21b that has the fwd header tank leaking at the upper fitting. I understand this tank was previously repaired. We have not removed the tank yet to access the situation.

What are the alternatives for the header tank? I heard there is an STC to remove them, also where can you purchase a new tank?

Thanks
John

Atlee Dodge sells an improved header tank. I would replace them both if I was going to keep the header tank fuel system. The originals are soft aluminum soldered together and in my experience pretty easily ruptured. I tore the end out of one removing the fitting. I believe Atlee's are stainless but not sure. Cub Crafters has a headerless system but requires removing the rt. tank and welding a bunge in the front of the tank and running a fuel line down the rt. front door post.

My personal feeling is that you should have at least one header tank in the system -assuming you have a valve that allows both tanks on at the same time. PA-12's can quit with quite a bit if fuel in the system, and if there is maneuvering involved, you can run into engine sputtering or stopage with gas still onboard. MY PA-12 has Atlee's tanks with a single Atlee header.

I tested the headerless system and ran out of gas with a few quarts remaining. I could get it to run by slipping the plane.

It must be the leaky header tank season. My 12 is in for the annual and a small leak was discovered. Any thoughts as to whether I should just have the IA solder it, or replace with Atlee's header. How much is Atlee's header and is it STC'd on the 12?

Atlee's heavy duty headers are the way to go in my opinion.....put them in and you should never have a problem.

Back