• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What to Buy???

Grizz

Skwentna Alaska
Hi every one I'm new here. I need some advice from you cub experts. I'm sure you get this kind of question all the time, but it would be nice if you guys could help me. I'm a hunting guide starting my own business. I have about 150 hrs flying my old bosses cubs. I'm looking for a plane to own a long time. My price range is 50k to 55k. I don't know if I should buy a super cub or a PA-12 with mods. I dont like the fact that the 12's are so old. I found a 1969 cub for 56,000 low hrs. seem good. I also found a 12 with 150 hp flaps and super light for 48k what plane would be the better buy if they both checked out good? Most people I talked to said there is not much differnce in performance. Is this true?

The 48K PA-12 probably didn't have flaps. If so there would be a big difference in Performance. The PA-12 also has a lower angle of attack sitting on the ground and that hurts the take-off as well. Extended gear would be a must if I were going to work a 12. I think the average 18 is at least 50 lbs lighter than the average 12.

Assuming they are both solid planes.
1) Landing gear- Advantage Cub.
2) Short field performance- Advantage Cub.
3) Repairability/Availability of parts- Advantage Cub.
4) Age of original parts- Advantage Cub.
5) Resale value- Advantage Cub.
6) Modification potential- Advantage Cub.

If the 12 is stock except for the motor and flaps, the baggage area is very limited. The gear is a pain. Swinging doors are a pain. The only possible advantage is the width of the back seat, and if your clients are average sized, you can't fit two there anyway. No offense intended, but a $48K 12 isn't going to be modified enough to compete with a Cub. And no matter what you look at, it'll be compared to a Cub. Just buy the Cub.

(P.S., I own a 12.)

SB

Get a thorough pre-purchase inspection whichever way you go.

That means "get an inspection as in-depth as an annual inspection" BEFORE you buy your airplane.

Also, have a good Cub driver fly it and tell you whether it will do for what you want.

Also, if you intend to operate on Tundra or other very rough operations, expect to need to update that -12's gear to -18 sstlyle gear and extended gear as stated before.

If you expect to get to those places where almost no one goes, or where almost no one, and certainly only Cubs, get the Cub.

If you need more answers, keep coming back to SC.org.

I hate to use this hallowed site for advertising, but check back with me if you need some specific assistance.

If you are going out in the bush and have to walk home to get some parts which will be easier to find parts for a 12 or the 18.
Get the 18!!

Back