• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

High Speed Scud Running

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
NOTE: THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST DOES NOT CONDONE OR recommend SCUD RUNNING FOR ANYONE IN ANY SITUATION.

I had to run Dana down to Joplin today for a family matter, and I had to be back in Kansas City, then run back down to Joplin to pick her up. Joplin is 120NM from KC so 480 NM in the cub seemed like a LONG TIME! Instead, we zipped down at 140kts in a piper arrow I own part of.

We flew VFR, but when we got to Joplin the "scattered 1500" layer turned into a 1000ft overcast and 3sm vis. I must admit, I have gotten comfortable in these conditions at 80mph in the supercub, but at 165 mph it is a a whole different deal - and one I can't recommend to anybody.

I don't think scud running is a good idea, but I do do it in the supercub - frequently. At 65 - 80mph you have a lot of time to make decisions and things do not close on you as quickly. Yes, it is still dangerous, and should only be done if you really know the towers / area that you are flying in.

One the way home, I filed IFR, punched over the layer, and had a comfortable flight. I would not have felt the need to do it in the supercub, but frankly, I felt like I was going too fast for the marginal VFR visibility.

It has caused me to wonder if the blanket VFR of "1 mile clear of clouds" should really be based more on the speed of your equipment?

sj

Actually the " 1 mile & clear" is usually based on the pucker factor. On occasions ( alt. out, vac. pump out, or dumb decision) I have scud run in the Bonanza. It is scary to navigate low on the deck with limited visibility at high airspeeds........if it must be done then slow your speedster down.
I use 20 degree flaps and reduced power in the V-35 and I can comfortably fly at 90-100 mph. While you don't have the options you do in a cub, this essentially increases your forward visability by giving you more "reaction" time.

Several years ago I took a 120mph Archer tour of the entire length of Nebraska at about 500'. Visibility was about 3 miles for entire duration, and the ragged ceiling had me and the passenger doing double time looking out the window, cross-referencing on the sectionals and the GPS, and prepped for a fast detour around those midwestern skyscraper antennas. Nothing scary happened, in fact I found the contour flying (in NE, yeh right) to be kinda exhilarating. I also decided that if I had to make that trip again, I would like to have some other options. Got my instrument ticket 6 months later.

Of course, my SC rarely sees the top side of 501 feet, 'cause ya jis cant see nuttin from those nose-bleed altitudes. :)

It reminds me of flying for hire in Prince William Sound. If you are out there on a bad day trying to do your best work there is a code when talking over the radio.

How's the weather?

Oh, about 20 degrees. (Meaning the flap setting to stay ahead of the upcoming)

And then there's CAVU - translation, "Clouds All the Vay Up!"

I flew the 170 back from the paintshop in BC this last week and there was 15 miles of "10 degree" weather at the beginning of the trip and once back in the USA it was broken and I was in the sunshine on top with no troubles. It was a glorious outing!

You know what you call a 1000'/3-mile day in Alaska in September?

A nice day.

My visibility issues have been much scarier in heavy rain where the ceiling and visibility on the ground were fine. A few times, Lake Hood tower controllers, after taking off, have offered advice that there are no radar targets in the area....have a nice flight. The advice was unsolicited, but they knew damn well that forward visibility was near zero. It was welcome advice, for sure.
SB

One key to surviving the 1000'/3-mile days is to slow your a/c. Slowing makes a 180 degree turn take up less space and gives you time to think out ahead of the a/c.

Shouldn't this point have been part of one's primary training?

Maybe those who haven't learned this were taught only to "avoid" scud and not how to deal with it....kindof like spin training not being in the course syllabus anymore, just "spin-avoidance"?

Maybe the "slowing the a/c" thing would be a good BFR discussion point for those of you who impart knowledge to future aviators.

Good point, Dave. The same should be taught for those who fly mountain passes. Approaching a pass, stay to the outside wall, slow, two notches flaps, hand on the throttle. You don't know if the clouds are stacked right into the corner from the other side, and it may be boogie time.
SB

It has been an exciting week. Did an ILS to near minimums in the dark blowing snow this evening in a 172 without an attitude gyro from the right seat with a student. Those runway lights sure were pretty...

sj

Back