• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

boot cowl washers

tempdoug

PATRON
nd
on some of the different cubs ive looked at, or i should say at all of them, there seems to be a different system of putting washers in between the engine mount and boot cowl and between the fuselage and boot cowl, some have no washers at all. the piper parts manual shows no. 80122-43, im just wondering if theres a basic place to start. thanks doug

Doug:
If you are referring to the larger (1 1/4 OD, x 3/8 in. ID ) fiber washers that are supposed to be between the "U" bracket and the firewall. They should go right behind the bracket. Nothing between the firewall and the front bulkhead tubing. The only other washers are under the nut on the bolt that holds the bracket.

Boot Cowl Washers

cubpilot2 said:
Doug:
If you are referring to the larger (1 1/4 OD, x 3/8 in. ID ) fiber washers that are supposed to be between the "U" bracket and the firewall. They should go right behind the bracket. Nothing between the firewall and the front bulkhead tubing. The only other washers are under the nut on the bolt that holds the bracket.
I also was concerned about this. In the book it shows 7 fiber washers used behind and in front of the boot cowl. One washer is deleted on the top right mount because there is a lug there, which takes up the space of one washer. I just received my 7 fiber washers from Univair yesterday. I dont always believe everything I read but that is what the book said. Palhal

Boot Cowl Washers

cubpilot2 said:
Doug:
I also was concerned about this. In the book it shows 7 fiber washers used behind and in front of the boot cowl. One washer is deleted on the top right mount because there is a lug there, which takes up the space of one washer. I just received my 7 fiber washers from Univair yesterday. I dont always believe everything I read but that is what the book said. Palhal

Palhal:
Had to go back and check my parts books as I was quoting from memory / experience. Don't have one of the newer reprints handy but a couple of original Piper copies. One from 1962 and 1973 covering up to 18-8964.
As of then they only called for 3 fiber washers (80122-43). They do mention 4 other washers near the same assembly (81102-17 steel) which are the "square sided" washers that go under the bolt head, inside the "U" bracket.
If your manual shows this as having 7 total, then look for a serial number eligibility etc. as it would have to be a later model. I would suspect a misprint.

Ed--The SC parts manual from Univair has on page 20 showing the inside of the firewall index#34 part#80122-43 fibre washers (4). On page 94 on the motor side of the firewall shows index#77 part#80122-43 fibre washers (3). There are no serial numbers shown behind these part numbers. My SC was built in 1951. What is your thought on this? Palhal

Palhal:
Good catch! Put them in. I'm beginning to understand why I have seen many different installations on these. I had looked only at Figure 29 which leads one to think that they are showing the entire set up since they show the bolt passing through the U bracket and the nut on the back etc. You would think they would have included the extra washer in the same exploded view. Think I will pick up a few more for the cub I have now as it only had them on one side. It was damaged when new in 58 and they must have left them out.

i looked in the 11 parts manual tonight and they only show the washers between the engine mount and cowl, nothing on the inside. doug

Back