• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18 Cuby Checklist

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
I am teaching three strapping young men to fly in a PA-18 Cuby. Anybody have a good checklist they use for these, or any other recomendations for helping these fine fellows along?

sj

sj,
I have a nice checklist for a PA-12 that you could
adjust for a PA-18.
Mark

What's wrong with "can i fly tonight peter rabbit" ? controls, instruments, flaps, trim, primer, run-up.

Or just GUMPS before takeoff and landing? Just remember that the U stands for "Undercariage--down and welded".

P can be Primer instead of Prop

I add "Flaps and Trim" to the end of "GUMPS"

OK, nevermind. Maybe you DO actually need a written checklist to fly a Cuby.

I like CIGARTIP for pre-take off

controls
instruments
gas
altimeter
run-up
trim
interior ( doors locked, windows closed, belts on)
prop

If the Cuby has a Mode-C Transponder, make sure it stays in STBY until you taxi unto the runway for takeoff.... and turned OFF as soon as you exit the runway after landing. This should be a mandatory procedure as to do otherwise creates chaos in arriving aircraft with TCAS systems. This procedure should apply to any aircraft any pilot flies.

Same goes for wingtip strobe light systems, IMHO.

Sometimes at Hood, a guy needs all the lights glowin' that he has. People are walking, driving, etc. on taxiways. I ALWAYS taxi with every lumen available...........another viewpoint. :)

Big AK said:
Sometimes at Hood, a guy needs all the lights glowin' that he has. People are walking, driving, etc. on taxiways. I ALWAYS taxi with every lumen available...........another viewpoint. :)

Point well taken..... always an exception to the rule.

In all other cases, it's basically rude to any other pilot in the vicinity to have flashing strobes to deal with.

cubdrvr said:
I like CIGARTIP for pre-take off

controls
instruments
gas
altimeter
run-up
trim
interior ( doors locked, windows closed, belts on)
prop

Dave:
must be a regional thing. I was taught the same thing 30 years ago. although I have modified it a tad since then. I always thought instruments and altimeter were redundant.

C- Controls- free and correct & proper direction
I- Instruments -check and set -including radios
G- Gas- quantity, selector, and primer locked
A- Attitude- set trim and flaps
R- Runup -XXXX RPM-Mags-carb heat-cycle prop -check eng instr.

T-Time
I- Interior -seat belts, doors, etc
P-Pattern- Check pattern -radio call etc

Use that in anything I fly.

No reason to teach a student to stick his head in his lap trying to read one of those books they call a checklist. Paste it on the dash if you need to.

Back