• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rib stiching vertical stab.

ksecub

Portland, OR
I am just about to rib stich my vertical stabilizer, I have always stiched both ribs in the past and it does pouch the fabric out. I recall someone mentioning that they only stich the upper rib on the vertical stabilizer. Any thoughts on this? I am tempted to only stich the top rib, is this a good idea?

I have the drawing at the hanger but if I recall correctly you only stitch the top rib on a SC. Just stitched the vertical on the Clipper which is the same part number and the drawing shows it stitched on the top rib only. The 108 hp Clipper had fewer stitches than the 150 hp Tri-Pacer so we added the extra stitches since the Clipper now has the 150 hp engine in it. I am going to the hanger on a domestic assignment and will post my findings.

"domestic assignment"?

On the vertical of a Taylorcraft, stitching would pull the fabric in too much, also.

I guess some guys will do a "loose" stitch. This pulls the left and right sides of the fabric slightly together, stabilizing the fabric, but doesn't actually pull it tight to the vertical stab's ribs and suck it in just at the stitch.

Most verticals that I see are stitched with the "Pouch" or "pooch" or "dent" or "sucked-in" spot from tight stitches at the second rib.

I think I'll do loose stitches on the next one I do.

OK, honey does are done and I'm done playing carpenter so back to what I think I know. Off of Clyde Smith's stitching hand out the verticle stab on the Super Cub 105 -150hp is 4 stitches on the upper rib only starting 4" from the tailpost and continuing at 8", 12" and 16". It specifically says not to stitch the lower rib.

and here I thought Steve was some kind of CIA agent "Domestic assignment" :D

Back