• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bungee Color Code

T.J.

Alaska
I remember seeing a chart for the thread color codes somewhere, but can't find it now. Does anyone know where I can find it? Thanks.

I have it on the computer at the shop. Will post it when I go back over there. Superior Shock Cords has a site but it wasn't there and their application guide had some discrepancies. I e-mailed them for the chart. Will post in a few hours.

Thanks for the info. I found the year/quarter color but nothing on sizes i/e , 1080....1280.....1380 etc. Thats what I need. I've got a J-3 that I think has bungees that are to heavy. I'd like to know what they are before cutting them off.

Ah. Well that information doesn't have anything to do with the color coding. Only other indication I know of on the ring itself is the color of the whipping that joins the ends of the cloth sheath. Brown being the "cold weather" ring. Only way you can tell if they are the correct specified cord ring after they have been removed from the sleeve they came in is by the diameter of the cord itself, and the freestanding length of the ring. Both dimensions are slightly skewed by having them installed because the cord is stretched into position when installed. The Univair catalog has an excellent chart for figuring this out, and Aircraft Spruce's contains a slightly abbreviated version that may help as well. But the specified shock cord ring according to Univair for J3 s/n 1-8277 is 4 each ring 1174. This is a ring made from 11/16" bungee cord stock and should measure 7 1/2" freestanding. However, J3 s/ns 8278 and up are shown in Univair's catalog as taking 4 each 1280HD rings (3/4"x8"), which are rated at 750 lbs load each vs the 730 lbs each rating for the 1174. Does this help?

its a prewar, postwar thing. the arm off the shock strut is shorter on the prewar than postwar.

I see they updated their site since my last visit. Those colors roll over every year so you can determine how old your bungees are if someone didn't put it in the logs. I have a Piper Service Bulletin or Memo at the shop that list the bungees for all the Pipers. I will post it tomorrow.

Nice chart Beegee, Do you know how they differentiate what 5 year period. Mine are marked with blue string.

Posted Using the Free SuperCub.Org Android App!

They don't code them any further. It repeats every 5 years, which leads me to believe you are not supposed to run them longer than 5 years, at least according the mfr ;-)

There is only one company in the world that makes bungee cords.It is SBC industries in Scottsboro Al, they supply them to all of the aviation retailers.If you want fresh bungee rings call Dave at SBC and get them from him also he is very helpful the phone # 256-259-6609 or 256-599-9968.We set up a mass buy on the tcraft site and got a price brake on them we bought 225 rings and saved a lot I picked them up and did the shipping a set of 9010hd for a tcraft shipped was $72.10 and they were 3 days old when i shipped them.With as many cubs on here this could work on supper cub also.

I have new set of 1280HD's SBC made on the weak side of the range Ill bring to Pierces on the 15th if anybody needs a set

Back