• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Martin Fabric Clips

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
I have seen a few Super Cubs with the Martin Fabric Clip STC and though I wouldn't attach the fabric to a Piper rib I wondered if anyone had any experience with them. I am using them on a Taylorcraft wing and can't get them to lay down. They make a bulge in the finishing tape even if I shrink the tapes. Tried to contact the people who make them and only got the answering machine. I am using the stock holes 3" apart. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Steve, I'm suprised that an old hand like you would forgo the pleasures of rib stitching.

I removed and welded the gas tank and was trying to recover only the inboard 5' and make it all look original and untouched. Should have stuck with what I know cause now it looks like I'm gonna rip them out and eat a bunch of labor.

I did a T-Craft about 5 years ago and used those Stupid Fugging martin wires! I hated them! They do not lay down and look like crap. I ended up putting another reinforcing tape over them to keep them from poking through the fabric. I will never use them again and must have been the start of my drinking problem! :drinking:

I had to think about these answers from the T'Craft site. I think I figured it out. Get a Cub wing and pull out the needles and the rib stitching cord. I ripped all the freakin' fabric off and will start again in the a.m. What a pain in the butt.

They might have the wrong pitch (spacing) compared with the original Taylorcraft Wire. Martin Wire is a different product, interchangeable except for the spacing. You can put a horizontal bend (zig-zag) in them to allow them to lie flat. Or re-drill new holes in the rib cap with the appropriate hole spacing for your new wire.

The original "Taylorcraft" wire stitching is a wee bit different than the "Martin" wire. As Robert pointed out you need to Z the wire once in a while and "bow" it down with your thumb ( wrapped with tape if doing a lot of them" . Sometimes even bending the wire at the barb with fine needle nose pliers.
I think you should use the "fabriv" over the tanks anyway. If I recall the wires may not seat completely in that area.....check it all out and do your best.

The supercub I bought has Martin clips. If I recall from the logs they were installed about 12 years ago. One of my concerns is that the clips will wear on the ribs and require a rib replacement.

Any data?

Incidently the seams were retaped to try to eliminate the bumps.

GRl

Took my fluting pliers and put a joggle in the wire to make up the difference. Worked good on my test piece. I was worried about the wire moving around and rubbing thru the tape and in the case of a Piper rib that cap strip is mighty thin. Well time to put the fabric back on and try again. Thanks everybody.

Martin Clips..........

I used a bunch of Martin Clips a few years ago on a Clipped Wing Cub. Worked fine, and looked good as well. Its true, sometimes you have to modify the bends somewhat with pleirs, but its pretty easy and beats the tar out of rib stitching.

Mike in NC

Back