• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Red dragon heaters

AKCub

Anchorage, Alaska
Anyone got a handle on what makes red dragon pre-heaters tick (or not)?
Mine was working great but now it wants to blow out with even the slightest amount of back pressure.
Thanks
Scott

Try a full propane tank or try keeping your propane tank warm.

With my bad back, I tried to keep the propane low and had the same blowout problem until I started to take the tank inside with us for the night before using.

I've never seen this happen with a full warm tank ; so I think it may be a pressure to the system problem.

GR

Ah yes,

I can imagine taking one of these 208# ? machines down the back beach and onto the overflow- on those skinny concrete/tamac grown tires.

Please Milt, there are preheaters for those who don't really need preheaters- other options are available - and those in the bush who really need to find a light weight reliable preheater. I doub't that this preheater could even be pulled down the average bush runway- now way couold it be used in a real bush operation.

Nothing beats having been there and having tried that.

GR

Wow!! Now that's a heater. Gee . . . I could preheat everything . .the cub . . hangar . . car . . . tool shed. . . and still have enought temperature left over to cook a turkey and "tighten up" the cub's cover. I love this site.

Gary Reeves said:
Ah yes,

I can imagine taking one of these 208# ? machines down the back beach and onto the overflow- on those skinny concrete/tamac grown tires.

Please Milt, there are preheaters for those who don't really need preheaters- other options are available - and those in the bush who really need to find a light weight reliable preheater. I doub't that this preheater could even be pulled down the average bush runway- now way couold it be used in a real bush operation.

Nothing beats having been there and having tried that.

GR

You would not believe where some of these things are! :-?

I remember using Herman Nelson's 35/40 years ago when I was a puppy, Line Boy. We ran them on 100/130 Oct. and used them on everything from Convair 440's on down. They will preheat a 206 damn quick. You had to be careful not to melt something. The Honda Engine would be a big improvement, I remember the engines in them back then being temperamental.

Frank

Heater

If you put some Bushwheels on that Herman Nelson, now that would be a heck of a pre heater! 416,000 BTU's, heat the whole plane and tighten the fabric at the same time. Crash

You would not believe where some of these things are!

================

Tim,

Sorry for letting of so much steam. I keep forgetting that I am the one in the very different situation and what is practical for the rest of the folks just won't work for me. I looked up the info on the heater and thought only about using it under my circumstances. Since I have no road, no truck, no electricity (other than what I make myself) and live in what most folks would consider a bush camp and heat with wood I could heat my whole place with that machine. Mabey I would not have to shovel snow either.

When I go back home, I'll be throwing the preheaters in the sled on back of the snow machine for the ride to the back cove for the airplane - and loving it.

GR

Sounds like a GREAT place to live Gary. Got an aerial shot or a couple of photos of your place so us wanna bees can live vicariously through you?

Bill

Praying for snow

Bill,

I've just burned about an hour trying to figure how to upload a photo to the site and failed. If you PM with your email address I can send a few by regular email. They are 14meg tif files.

GR

Scott,
Your gas nozzle may be dirty, or the regulator may be either out of adjustment or worn out. I mean the regulator on the unit, not at the gas bottle. Try the clogged jet first. You should have received a cleaning wire with the burner if you bought it new. It's pretty low-tech. Any wire that fits the orifice would work.
SB

Gary Reeves said:
Bill,

I've just burned about an hour trying to figure how to upload a photo to the site and failed. If you PM with your email address I can send a few by regular email. They are 14meg tif files.

GR

Generally, the upload feature won't work with picture files large that 1MB.

Larger than even 300K is probably not necessary for on screen use, a 14MB TIF file is probably only applicable to very high quality printing at larger sizes.

Convert to JPG if you can, and resize the images too. If you happen to be running Windows XP, you can get a pretty handy resizing utility for free from the evil empire, the "Image Resizer" XP "Power Toy" is available as a free download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

-->Aaron

I had the same problem with my Red Dragon last year so I took of the front part where the thermal couple is located and cleaned all the carbon off the thermalcouple. Seemed to work fine after that.

Back