• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

removed

It looks like he's skidding with rudder only, and maybe a little cross controlling with the ailerons. I'm guessing that he got a little more lift on the first skid when his wing went straight into the relative wind. The only reason I can think of to do that would be to keep from dropping a wing and blocking your own view towards the apex of the turn, like if you were trying to keep a moving object in sight on the ground.

I can't get the resolution to tell what he is doing. Guess I need a better computer. Skidding turns can be a very useful technique to have in your bag of tricks; however.

Bill

I agree with Bill. Skidding (slipping) turns can be usefull. As long as you know what you are doing. One saved my "bacon" and the cub when I performed my first "unplanned" . . off field landing. By slipping around a tree I was able to make the field. The only way to the field from my position was to slip around the tree . . . rather than some "unfriendly" terrain. That is when I learned that the rumore is false that "engine out flight" is quiet. My passenger (non-flyer) said the wind got really lound was we came around that tree. I don' know . . .at that point I was very busy. When we were kids . . dad made us fly around the "patch" just using rudder & elevator. Sorta glad he did. I "short circuted" an instructor on a bi-annual once as I did a slipping turn to final for a hay field , for a simulated emergency. He thought we were going to "buy the farm".

Back