• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

removed

a wild guess

he has the elevator fully deflected up for the whole run. that would induce needless drag. certainly keeps the tail low for takeoff, perhaps too much so.

or maybe he didn't drill holes in the handle of his toothbrush to save weight??

technique

Pilot induced drag. tail too low , flaps too soon
But is proper technique in snow and mud or other soft material

What is wrong with this technique?

I know, I know. You meant to post it on the Husky site but posted it on Super Cub.org by accident.

I don't know but when I want the shortest take off in a Husky I lock the brakes, full power, stick forward, tail is up, release brakes, pull flaps and stick. I might be doing it wrong but that is the best way I have found to do a short take off on a paved strip in a Husky.

I got it!!!

He didn't turn on the rotating beacon.

Am I right?, or am I right??

Couldn't help but notice that left hand slip also.

Well, for starters, most of the runway is behind him when he starts his T/O roll.

S.F.
Nick

The runway kind of looks like a road, perhaps? When is the last time you seen a 7500' runway that narrow w/ no lights? 8)

flagold said:
7,350 feet behind to be exact (out of 7500). And I had such hopes for you Nick, I stayed up an extra few minutes -- that's it. Night all.

MM

You're too kind, MM. I'm sure everyone here knows the three totally useless pilot assets: The fuel in the bowser, the air above, and the runway behind. Now go to bed!

:cheers

S.F.
Nick

There is no airplane noise in the background, only TV noise...

And is sounds like FOX!

sj

The aircraft could have pitched into a stall/spin with that elevator position and full flaps, the aircraft is leaving the ground at minimum controlled airspeed in that configuration. Did he/she crash? Don't you just love puzzles!

I'd say that the camerman either shouldn't be where he is.........or wearing track shoes.

He forgot to check his takeoff area prior to roll and almost hit the camera???

3 Point takeoff in a taildragger with full nose up elevator??? I was taught that you raise the tail off the ground and then keep it as low as possible for short field technque, never just full up elevator as that would increase drag????

Maybe he forgot the control lock....

Cameraman is a tripod, and the lens is zoomed. I noticed he didn't leave it in ground effect after breaking ground.

Mike J.

I have too much time :)

Maybe I've been looking at this too long...
But it seems as though the airplane tries to weathervane slightly into a right crosswind once or twice which is straightened each time, but as he lifts off the right wing is allowed to slightly rise...obviously being on the ground for so short a time might not let a huge problem fully develop, but per the book shouldn't it be level or even down a bit as you come off the ground if the stick is still a bit to the right as it should be for this condition?

PhilP

It seems to me if you try to take off that way in a tail dragger it takes longer to get off the ground. You get off the ground quicker if you hold the tail low off the ground, let the plane start to fly, then start climbing if you have the speed.

Andy Rooney is doing his thing on 60 minutes in the background sound.

I'm very interested to hear what Matt says is wrong here.

There's nothing wrong with the up-elevator in this clip...you'll be wanting the tail low for highest AOA on this short(?)-field takeoff. The Husky requires full up-elevator to keep that tail down...not a problem there. It's actually correct.

The guy appears to have some flap in at the beginning of the roll. It appears he pulls the rest at lift-off...or maybe the camera-angle change as the a/c nears the camera guy fools me into thinking more flap is applied because the flap-gap becomes visible.....no problem there. Although, starting with no flap and adding it at lift-off would be best.

Which brings us to the mention of the wings being unlevel at lift-off by Phil P....unlevel wings are NOT a problem and can actually be a signal that the a/c is ready to lift off. Though it doesn't apppear that the star of this clip does it, applying full aileron through the TO roll, and allowing the down aileron to lift its wing will show us that the thing is ready to fly. If a guy keeps the tail low, and holds full aileron(into the crosswind, if necessary), and rolls until a wing gets light, then neutralizes the ailerons and adds flap, he'll be airborne quicker than if he starts his roll with the tail HIGH and YANKS elevator and flap at the same time, a time when he GUESSES the a/c might fly......We've all seen the guy that starts out tail high, then yanks the stick back and bounces the tail on the surface multiple times until the a/c finally staggers into the air. That's the guy we don't want to be. Using the aileron-over technique will avoid being this guy.....which has nothing to do with the clip.

AS this Husky climbs over the camera, you can see the up-elevator pressure being released.....that's good.

I see nothing wrong with the technique used in this clip. I would PREFER to see the flaps added at lift-off rather than applied before the roll commences, but it's just a preference. Also, letting the tailwheel a half-inch above the surface is also preferable to actually holding it ON the surface.

Sure are skinnny-looking little tires on that thing....also, against my personal preference.

DAVE

Happy Flying. And nail your technique so some Husky jock doesn't take your 100 dollar bill from you.

Flagold

It looks like he had not straightened his tail wheel out before he had started his rollout. With the elevator being held up more downward pressure would have been placed on the tail wheel making it even more difficult to control.

Cub_Driver

I just looked the video clip over again and really don't see anything wrong. I like to hold my stick forward but seems you have a idea why you like it back guess I could use a little more duel.

Back