• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Small wires...

sekps

Lund, Sweden
When stripping my L-18C fuselage I find small pieces of 1/16" wire welded to tubes in different places. There's 4" length welded to one of the tubes on the screw tower, a 2" length is welded near the axle on each gear leg etc.

I guess it doesn't matter but I'm still curious... Why are they there?!

First I had some idea that they could act as "corrosion indicators" but in that case there are better places to put them.

/Mattias

No, I don't think so. The wires are placed parallel to the tubes, tack welded at the ends.

/Mattias

Sounds like they were mig welded, and thats the excess where they cut the wire off?

sekps said:
When stripping my L-18C fuselage I find small pieces of 1/16" wire welded to tubes in different places. There's 4" length welded to one of the tubes on the screw tower, a 2" length is welded near the axle on each gear leg etc.

I guess it doesn't matter but I'm still curious... Why are they there?!

First I had some idea that they could act as "corrosion indicators" but in that case there are better places to put them.

/Mattias
I have an L18C never had it apart yet, but about ready too. What is a screw tower? I'll look ,if you can explain, PK.

I don't know if my L18C has the wire or not. I will have to look. All of the PA16's have it. It is where the data tag was fastened. They aye welded in two spots and the ends are left free, they are bent up, data tag slipped over the ends and then bent down. I remember the wire on the gear legs at the place where the axle welds in. Seems like there was some sort of wheel pant mount or something and this kept it from rotating around but I am not sure. I will ask Clyde Smith next time I talk to him. Seems like J-3's have the same thing.

Welding rod/little wires

We took a 1950 PA-18-0235 apart and found the data plate at the jack screw held on with bent over 1/16" welding rod. The bigger rod at the bottom of the gear legs is also on J-3, and PA-12's. It must be for the original wheel pant brackets.

I can't add anything on the "wires" but I can give my 3 cents worth on the hydra sorbs. Our 1959 PA-18 "95" came with them from the factory (delux model). In 1964 our strip was literally a cow pasture . . .complete with cows. The landings were alot "smoother" on roll-out than with a J-3 or a friends PA-18 "135" that didn't have them. It takes that little "crow hop" out. It makes me look like I almost know what I'm doing. They were replaced last year at rebuild and what a difference. Seems they had gotten "bad" over the years . . . and we just kept compensating. The tracking is now "super" . . especially when we get to black top. We found that one unit was completely "shot" and the other just plain bad. So when you got a little "slide load" going . . . . it got interesting. But . .they will add some weigth.

Back