• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuselage Alignment at the Tail End

markc

Philippines
Folks

The photograph shows a couple of questions I have on the alignment of the tail section of the Fuselage.

The straight edge shows the alignment diferences. Also, the Post appears to have a 'kink" in it.

Does anyone know if this is appropriate or we have a hokied up repair in there.

Again, your help is always appreciated.

tail.jpg

Mark

The Top Longeron on the PA-18 and J-3 SHOULD be bent as shown in your picture. The Tailpost should be straight though.

Frank

Tube

Mark the bttom long. should carry a strait line from the rear gear fitting all the way to
the tail post. The upper long. bends down at the last cluster[trim post]. the tail post
should be strait. There should be nothing off left or right from a center line. Wayne

Rear Fuselage

On the PA12/14 the longerons go up about 3/4" after the last cluster. On the PA-18 they go down about 1 1/2" as I remember. What really matters though is if you have the right amount of up and down trim when you hang an elevator on it with the trim system in place and the fuselage leveled. The only way to correct the trim range is to move the upper longerons up or down the tail post a bit before welding it up. If it is more then a "little bit", then there are problems else where. Usually it is in the bottom longerons and tail being bent up after the last station from hard landings. I've flown planes like this and they alway seem to get off well and cruise fast but don't slow fly worth a hoot or carry much load without running out of forward trim. Jig it in a known good jig. Strings and levels just don't cut it, believe me I know from experience. Crash

Strings

Crash is right, If you have a problem look for a good jig to have it straitened. The string
and level will do the job but is slow and you better know how to use them. Wayne

Back