• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

window replacement

pa19guy

Anchorage, AK
Your input is surely appreciated.

I am replacing the side windows on my PA 19 150. WOW are they a weird shape!!!!!! How/Where do I get a good pattern for new ones? The old ones worked but one was 1/4 longer, the front, in the height dimension. Nothing was really square although the two bottom corners were close to square and the top had different heights so those corners were off. When both windows were in the vertical edges were not parallel.square. I could just duplicate but as long as I'm going to all the work might as well make them correctly.

Chris

Do you have the greenhouse or 'D" windows? I made new windows for an L18C(PA19). I learned as a new A&P in a Warbird restoration shop a valuable leason. I was told to make a leading edge piece that goes over the landing gear opening on a P51. I made a pattern off the old part, rolled the skin, cut it off the patern and riveted in the formers. When the owner of the shop looked at it he wanted to know why he could get his fingernail between the skins. I had made it off the old part not taking into account the gaps. Now I install the part and measure what I need to add or subtract around the whole perimeter. I have also used poster board taped to the edge to make up the difference from the old part. Remove it and it makes a good pattern. I had to remove and install the rear glass several times before I got it the way I wanted it but always measure twice and cut once. If you remove a little at a time you have less chance of taking to much off.

Window sizes

I ran into a size issue again with the skylight. Before it was the side windows.
The skylight is 2" under one side of the wing root fairings and 1/2" under the other side, is 1/2" correct or is 2"? The holes in the front part of the skylight are about 1/8" back from the edge, seems too close.
Is the there a place to buy a pattern for general size and underlaps?

The side windows are 1/4" different in height and nothing is square. Again I was looking for a pattern, picture telling me what size to cut or how much slop is required in the height to allow installation.
I ended up using a small framing square and making the two bottom corners almost perfectly square but the ends are aligned with the end channels. I made the head cut parallel as possible with the top track. The height is full height minus 1/8"+ so the windows slide "nice". The front of each panel is cut parallel to the respective channel.

Chris

Back