• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

rudder control cables

pa19guy

Anchorage, AK
Thanks again for all who help

I have a 1949 PA-19-150, 99.99999 like a PA-18-150 after forty some pages of Supplemental this and 337 that.

The rudder control cable on the left side is sloppy, loose...... OK not tight or tensioned as much as the right. You could see this where the cable exits the fuselage and spans 3' or so before attaching to the control horn.

I pulled the belly tail cover and the cable actually lays on the "tubes"
Where is the spring located to prevent this condition as I have been unable to locate one on my own. Parts manual on order at this time

Chris

There are two springs on each side. Each spring is installed to recoil the rudder pedals foward thus pulling the cables tight. The spring is hooked around the verticle tube of each rudder pedal. Over time the pedals become bound with hard grease and dirt and do not function. If they are present try an alcohol and motor oil mix to cut the grime or mouse milk if you have some. If there not there you still have time before the weekend. The Part No. for the Spring is 40941-00. Look closely in the piper parts manual at figure 12 Item 6 page 37

T.J. Hinkle said:
Unless you have inspection covers on the lower boot cowl, its a major job to repair/replace the springs. Remove engine, windshield, bootcowl and assorted fairings. before you get to the springs.

Maybe someone who has "been there, done that" could give the dimensions from the firewall/sides, etc. to cut the inspection holes... Be alot easier than reinventing the wheel and having a swiss cheese boot cowl...

On the subject of pedals, does anyone know the correct degree of travel for the pedals (i.e. all the way back on a pedal being the 0 degree position, all the way forward being the forward being a 150 degree or so posit).

My guess is the travel should stop somehwere in the upright posit/slightly forward posit, though I'll be interested to know what others think.

Got my new seats/cushions yesterday!! Really, really nice.

JP - what did you get? Oregon Aero? I got a set of those last year, and love them.

Anne.

Rudder cable tension

Thanks for the education
I sincerely appreciate your time spent responding to me.

I'm in a hanger with country radio and great lighting.......I'm into the springs inspectation stage as we speak. I will definitely get a hand if the springs need replacement.

Is anybody interested in me buying them a lunch to talk super cub tinkering? I'm in Anchorage, Eagle River and Wasilla every couple of days with Kenai and Homer about every other week.

Mine is 1949 with major rebuilds in 1983 and 1995 from previous owner. I'm inspecting everything and would just like some conversation re what and what not...... do's and don'ts

Chris

Had a friend who does aviation upholstery work for Telford Volvo Aviation make a custom set of conform foam seats for the PA-11. They came out very nice. She took the front seat and fit the foam to it--even giving me some lumbar support. When you sit down it takes about a minute before you start to conform to the seat. Pretty cool and should make a big difference on long x-c trips.

TJ

That seems to be the way they line up...it will be interesting to see how it all comes out as I rig it up. A buddy has an -11 and a -5 so I will go stick my nose in his to see where stuff is. Then I'll defer to consensus!

Cris,

Here is one of djfraudmans excellent pictures, which showes a neat way to solve the access problem.

clm.thumb.jpg

Click Link Below For the BIG Picture
http://www.supercub.org/albums/Supercubs/clm.jpg
[/img]

Re: Rudder cable tension

pa19guy said:
Thanks for the education
I sincerely appreciate your time spent responding to me.

I'm in a hanger with country radio and great lighting***Is anybody interested in me buying them a lunch to talk super cub tinkering? I'm in Anchorage, Eagle River and Wasilla every couple of days with Kenai and Homer about every other week.

Chris

Chris

as you well know...that is what this site is all about. I have certainly learned a lot from here too, and it will be invaluable when I get started on my project. In a hangar with country radio, and great lighting, doesn't get any better than that (so long as it is classic country). I don't make it down to Anchorage much but if you make it up to Fairbanks while school is in session...I will buy you lunch if you want to BS about Super Cub tinkering/projects etc.

Bill

Ruder cable tension spring

Gunked up is the condition and is now corrected....... :D
That was some tough access just for lube :D
Thanks again for the replies :D :D

Back