• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Boats for floats

mhack

FRIEND
Clam Gulch Alaska and Florida
Anyone have experience in strapping a small boat to a SC float. Looking at Porta Boat that folds to 4 inches and is 8 feet long and weighs 47 lbs. Anyone have one of those? Saw one on a Maule.

Mike

Yes we've been here before on the Portaboat. I believe I sent Cuby and someone else pictures of my 12' going together back in the summer. The hull may fold to 4" think (in reality about 6") but you still have the seats and transom to deal with. With a 12' (actually 12'-7") that's 3 seats and a transom. 8' 2 seats and a transom. I use mine on the motorhome and once in awhile on a Murphy Rebel on Amphibs. No problem here as it has a rear interior floor the ENTIRE length of the tailcone. Not sure where you'd put these plywood seats (now plastic with the new Genesis IV model) in a Super Cub unless maybe there's a pod with a big enough length and door opening. If you want some pics just let me know and your email address and I'll send them.

Wayne

My partner and I just got a 10 foot Port a Boat and are making a trip in it on Thursday using his Top Cub on Wipline amphibs. I'll post later this week to let you know how we make out. I'm sure that we will have to find a piece of land to assemble the thing, I've done it once and I sure couldn't do from a float! It looks like the seats and transom will fit inside the plane.

We're doing fishing trips in Florida and for some reason people from the North don't like to wade the lakes and rivers, must be the gators. They do occasionally try to get between us and the plane, but have never been a problem.

I post later this week.

Gregg Anderson

camping in kinzua.....

cld.thumb.jpg

http://www.supercub.org/albums/supercubs/cld.jpg

Porta-boat

Questions on the Porta-boat.

I picked up a used one up this summer and transported it on my PA12. There is a picture of it in the calendar contest. Mine is a 12 footer with the wooden transom and plastic seats. Mounted to the struts, bow forward as this gives more clearence for the prop (17") and used rachet straps to secure it on (It looked as if you were squezing a sub. sandwich). I used a OMC 3hp and you could almost go water sking (maybe not). The thing actually works realy well.

Flying with it went without a hitch but understand water handling in a wind can be a chalenge while on the plane.

I am looking for another one, maybe a 10 footer, to plant another lake

Gary :lol:

Hi Gary

No substitute for hp even on boats! Just wanted to chime in here for any of the new guys wanting to strap a boat on to the side of their AC. Normal operation is to carry the square stern fwd as the stern can sometime disrupt airflow for the tailfeathers if carried aft. As with any external load one of the first priorities is airspeed. Don't take the load for granted.

Mark

Re: Porta-boat

kxo300 said:
Questions on the Porta-boat.

I picked up a used one up this summer and transported it on my PA12. There is a picture of it in the calendar contest. Mine is a 12 footer with the wooden transom and plastic seats. Mounted to the struts, bow forward as this gives more clearence for the prop (17") and used rachet straps to secure it on (It looked as if you were squezing a sub. sandwich). I used a OMC 3hp and you could almost go water sking (maybe not). The thing actually works realy well.

Flying with it went without a hitch but understand water handling in a wind can be a chalenge while on the plane.

I am looking for another one, maybe a 10 footer, to plant another lake

Gary :lol:

On calm water, when by myself, with my 5hp Honda on my 12' Portabote I can outrun a 12' Springbok with a 7.5Hp engine on it !! In rough water (or when loaded down with another large adult) however you loose the advantage as the poly hull flexes in the swells and you can't plane. The quietest fishing boat you will ever own though allowing much forgiveness when Walleye fishing compared to aluminum!

Note I had my transoms "living hinge" DIE last trip out in August after 6 seasons of usage. If I had of lived in California I could of dropped it off and they would have put a new back in her for free. Since the shipping both ways from Canada was going to out cost 50% of the boat value I accepted their prorated warrantee offer instead(not quite 5 years left on a 10 year hull warrantee) of a new Genesis IV boat for 1/2 price and they have just shipped me an ENTIRE new boat/seats/transom to replace my damaged hull. I'm now going to try to find a way to repair the one I have (as I get to keep it) so I'll have one for the plane and one for the motorhome.

The other thing I did with my boat, after the first season, was to add a piece of 1" x 1" x 1/8" 2024T3 Angle across the wood transom full beam right below the motor attachment screws. Otherwise when you had the motor up out of the water and beached in the sun the transom would warp. Also keeps the transom from flexing when you throw her in reverse!

Wayne

I went with a 10' inflatable. It has an inflatable floor, rolls into a bag, and weighs 60#. It's tagged for 15 horsepower, and it'll almost fly with 15 on it. Little rubber boats are hard to beat.
SB

Stewart,

What make and model of inflatable do you have?

I've been looking at the SOAR 14' inflatable canoe. It will take up to 4hp weighs around 60 lbs and is alleged to carry 875lbs. It rolls into a bundle 15" x 10" x 40". You can also bolt two of them together for a cataraft.

Anybody have any experience with SOAR inflatables?

My LRB is a Quicksilver. It's typical of the late model Zodiac poly fabric boats. Probably not as good as a Zodiac, but I don't use it that much. I got it at Marita's on close-out. I wanted something that would get on step with two guys. With 15hp on this thing, two guys better be holding on!
SB

Boat

I have the Zodiak brand 10' inflatable (53lbs) with a 8 hp Tahatsu (55lbs) motor. I have hauled two guys and a moose with our gear in it. Without the moose along for the ride, it will get on step and fly. I stuff it inside the plane. Crash

AkPA/18 said:
Hi Gary

No substitute for hp even on boats! Just wanted to chime in here for any of the new guys wanting to strap a boat on to the side of their AC. Normal operation is to carry the square stern fwd as the stern can sometime disrupt airflow for the tailfeathers if carried aft. As with any external load one of the first priorities is airspeed. Don't take the load for granted.

Mark

Hi Mark

Understand on the stern forward! On my 12 and 2000's with the Porta boat as far aft as possible, but not interfering with rudder cables the square stern was just two close to the prop arc, (if something shifted). Bow forward gave me another 10". Being the boat folds flat cuts down on airflow interferance with the tail feathers. C of G was right on.

The one problem is mounting this thing by yourself, expect to get wet! seems like a real heavy 60#! I think the 10 ft would just be easier to handel putting it on the plane.

I always store my jigs and big spoons, poking them into the foam along the sides of boat. (maybe thats why that inflatable didn't last!)

Great fishing platform!

I gotcha Gary---Makes sense and sounds like a whole lotta fun. Just figured I'd throw that out there for the ones that didn't know.

Good fishing!

Mark

We strapped the Portaboat on to the float struts of the Cub today, all of the seats, transom and paddles went into the extended baggage along with our fishing gear. The plane flew fine on test flight, we're going fishing tomorrow morning. I've got a few pictures but haven't downloaded them from the camera yet. I looks like it will work out great!

boats for floats

I bought a boat from EZ rider half a dozen years ago from Seattle the owner of the co owned a super cub and built a boat that is carried on the spreader bars . flys very well. made of kevlar about fiftyish pounds.use an electric motor that fits in the float hatchs. I don't know if they still make them but I still have the literature if anybody is interested

On a whim - I emailed for some info from Portabot - Told them I was looking for a 10 ft. - they called me and said they had a new one that had a blemish for $400 off their discount price!! $800 including freight, full 10 year warrenty included.

Well - I'm now a two "porta boat" owner. Will let you know what a "Blemish" is, when it gets here.

"Weak moments in Aviation" - can't take it with ya!

Another boat option for float or wheel plane types: a company called PakBoat sells a series of foldable canoes. These are really nice boats, and work as well as hard sided boats.

The 14 foot 6 inch boat folds up into a bundle about 20 inches in diameter, by 30 inches long, and weighs less than thirty pounds. I've run a 2 hp motor on one with a bracket, but they paddle really well.

They also make a 10 foot "kayak", which is really just a one man canoe. These little jewels pack down really tight (I can put one in EACH float compartment of the Baumanns) and weigh only 18 pounds.

All these boats are a lot more durable than I expected. We've got crews using them all summer, dragging them through the brush, portaging them, and paddling them every day, and they hold up really well. Also easy to patch.

Also easy to store, fold em up and put em on a shelf.

The most hard core white water canoe guy I know has used one of the 14 foot Pak Boats for a number of years, floating some really big whitewater, and swears by them.

Pak Boats at http://www.pakboats.com

MTV

On the subject of other options, we have a couple of Old Town Canoe Otter Kayaks that weigh 39 lbs. apiece. They are aerodynamic in shape and would be simple to attach to a float. The Otter is remarkably stable and at $329 msrp a good buy (blemished models are available much cheaper). Old Town also makes a 12' 33 lb. canoe called the Pack. This would also be a great choice.

Bear in mind that these are recreational watercraft, human powered, so they won't fit all needs out there. I plan to use the Otter to explore the multiple remote ponds and lakes of Northern Maine, litereally just minutes away from my place at the lake.

Old Town makes very good stuff and has a well-deserved reputation for excellent customer service:

www.oldtowncanoe.com

JP,

As a side note, I've carried Old Town Pack canoes on 185's, Cubs, 206's and Husky's a lot. At one point, I think we had thirty of the things (black bears really love to eat them, so their numbers tend to diminish annually).

One pack canoe on one side of any of these aircraft, flys just fine, with little noticeable effect.

Two pack canoes on any of these airplanes really changes the way the airplane flys. Much slower, and MUCH less stable, side to side. A lot of drag.

Now put two of these on one airplane, and load the airplane to gross weight, and you have a real handful. Stability is REALLY poor, airplane doesnt want to climb, etc.

So, when experimenting with these things, do just that, a little at a time. Don't ever make any assumptions regarding how an external load will fly, even if you did the same load yesterday.

There are some deeply moving religious experiences involved in moving external loads.

MTV

That's good to know that someone has some experience with the Pack.

I bet one Otter will work well, too. Good thing I have 12 straight miles of lake out the front yard to ascertain such an assumption...

I like to keep my religious experiences involving all things airplane to an absolute minimum. I err on the side of extreme conservatism when flying. Especially float planes. Having been in one that refused to climb one day....

Porta Boat question

I'm renewing an old thred - On the porta boat.

The last time I straped mine on I attached it to the lift struts on my 12 with 2000's. Has anyone mounted one to the spredder bars. What I am thinking is that I wouldn't loose any yaw stability this way and the water handling in a wind wouldn't suffer eather.

Any thoughts?

I have flown an 18' Grumman canoe, lashed to the side of a PA-18-135 on Edo 2000's, many times without a problem. In my opinion, the Beaver is the best rig to haul either boats or canoes. The Beaver will easily haul two 20' canoes or one 14' boat. In the 1970s, I built a canoe rack for a Cessna 180 simliar to the racks used in Canada on Beavers. The yaw associated with hauling a canoe, lashed to the float ,goes away since the canoe thwarts are vertical. You can also walk behind the canoe on the float, and open the door.

Living the dream

Wow ! you guys are living the dream, flying, boats ect. Thats what alot of us are looking forward to some day. I do have to wonder ? with all the fancy knots and lashing those boats down ect. Has anyone ever had one come loose or cargo of anykind while flying a supercub??

Bill
Cubless in Seattle

I have a 12' porta bote that I put on my PA-12 on EDO 2000's. Works best stern forward. I have a line that stays on the bow that ties to the rear cleat. That keeps it out of the water rudder steering. I can put the seats and an 8 horse motor with a crew member. While you are in the RESTRICTED category you can only have crew members not passengers. The boat is fun in a crosswind and a little busy on the feet in a steep turn.

I've always carried the Porta Boats bow forward, since the stern can open up, and that little bit of disturbance over the tail is no big deal. They fly fine bow forward.

They are fine boats, and fly really well. That said, as noted earlier, they are heavy suckers to position on the floats.

By the way, I use ratcheting cargo straps, the kind with welded hook ends, to attach boats and other external loads. Works well, and you don't have to sweat knots, or getting things tight enough.

MTV

Have you, with the porta boats, ever secured it to the spredder bar? I know it works OK to lash them to the struts & fly's great. It's just tough getting them of and on alone and water handing in wind is a bich.

I try to stay away from long things on spreader bars, due to the effect of them on the tail. Some don't do much, some loads do a lot of bad things.

I suspect that a porta bote, since it really isn't very large, wouldn't cause any problems on the spreader bars.

When I carry plywood on the spreaders on this size airplane, I put it on across the floats, and secure it around the spreader bars. This keeps the load forward, and keeps the burble off the tail.

I've had plywood and dimensional lumber strapped all the way across the spreader bars impart some pretty ugly characteristics to elevator effectiveness, so as I noted, I try to stay away from things on spreader bars.

MTV

I have seen canoes, but never a Kayak strapped to the floats. I wonder why... You would think it would work just fine.

A pard and I took a canoe into a little lake last week with the little 11.
The canoe ride with two clumseys on board was a lot scarier than the circular landing...

Alex,

Kayaks work fine. Kayakers are mortally offended by having to use a noisy, gas guzzling conveyance to get to their favorite kayaking spot. So you don't see many.

deHavilland actually produced a canoe/kayak rack for the Beaver. It held, as I recall, one canoe per side, and three kayaks.

MTV

Back