• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Iowa -- Northen Virginia

djfraudman

Meadow Lakes, AK
I am getting my plane back in the air next week. I plan on spending sometime in Arkansas and then northwest Iowa. We will then head for Virginia in the middle of the week of 11/16. It's a two day trip if the weather cooperates so am looking for suggestions of good place to stop in central/eastern Indiana in the vicinity of I-70. Small airport/grass strip with accommodations close and or a place to put up a tent. Any suggestions are appreciated or send me an e-mail.

Thanks

How about the western end of Ohio? Moraine Airpark (I73, 39-40-57.212N / 084-14-34.787W, Cincinnati Sectional) is uncontrolled and has a paved and lit runway. Lots of folks consider the grass on the south side a parallel turf runway. It is just south of I 70, southwest of Dayton, near the Great Miami River (The Wright brothers used this section of the river to test float planes).

There are many hotels and lots of food nearby, but the only thing really within reasonable walking distance is a general store. I have seen folks camped on the airport before.

PM me if you decide to stop in. I work nearby and could squire you around a bit. If you can stay a day, I'd highly recommend visiting the Air Force Museum.

Great News J!

I agree with Eddy!

I fly out of 40I (about 8 miles from Morain), grass strip and camping right next to my hanger too!

Would love to see the new plane so where ever you decide let us know!

www.stewartsaircraft.net

Back in the Air!

DJFraudman,

I third stopping at Moraine.

Another good stop in Eastern Indiana just south of I-70 is Greensburg-Decatur County, I34. You can tie down right next to the airport office, and talk to the airport manager who runs the bowling alley which is the adjacent building, and on airport property. He is very gracious. He offered us use of his courtesy car, and to stay overnight in the cozy and warm airport office.

Good luck and have a great trip.

I look forward to seeing the new bird!

Bob Breeden

DJ,

May want to think twice about pitching a tent wherever it is you stop. Summer ran long this year (It was 79 last weekend), but we had a heavy frost last night. Lows are supposed to be in the 20's & 30's next week.

I know, I know... I'm gonna get a razzing from the guys up in Alaska. But hey... We have winters in Ohio too... I had to shovel snow three or four times last winter. :wink:

DJ
Morraine I73 is nice, grass or pavement. Dayton has lots of motels.Greensburg-Decatur I34 isnice and rural. Stopped there on the way back from the Texas trip. If nobody is around Bob Breeden is right, go to the bowling alley next door. Rick Sanson is a cool guy in Waynesburg, OH. He probably knows the area the best. Have a great trip . I think we met at Lockhaven this year?
Rick

Thanks all for the responses. As it turned out because of loose ends on the plane and weather I did not get to Iowa. Ended up going back through Tennessee and Virginia.

Iowa to Northern Virginia

From Northern Iowa you may cross over Clinton, Ia right on the Mississippi River. Av gas is only $2.00 per gal. Just filled up last Sunday.

Tom from Eastern Iowa

Clinton IA ROCKS!

I also got a hand prop there in my 170 from a nice line guy, after the $2 fuel!

sj

Back