• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Different Strokes for-----

Wayne Mackey

Miles City Montana 406 232 1370
I've been reading these posts for over a year now and have really got a kick out of
all the different thoughts of what is the best setup on a cub. Mods. no mods, big eng.
small, what ever. To me it is kind of like the motor cycle world. You have road bikes,
dirt bikes, drag bikes, hill climbers,motocross, ect. All are bikes but are used very
differently.
With the cub I think it is much the same. Some like them stock, some other wise. I
think they all have a place out there and I injoy hearing about them.
For my self it is a toy and I would love to see an exstream sports event with them
one day. Wayne

PS what do you think.

Wayne,

I agree there are some really interesting posts on the best set up for Cubs. I think that a lot of the mods really depend on what you want out of the plane...work plane, toy, etc. Also, a lot is dictated by money. Personally I like the big engines, flaps cub gear big tires, and cub feathers on a PA12, so that i can carry more than an 18. As you may guess I use mine for work...but it also makes a heckuva toy too!

Bill

You?re spot on Wayne.
And like bikes, a few are for profit, but most of them are toys.

Steve?s place has become a way of life for us, an information supermarket of sorts. Some sweet, some junk, and some very health stuff that will lend to us all living a little longer and happier.

I think the extreme sports thing use to be called Gulkana. Hopefully, it will become known as New Holstein.

The posts that crack me up are the ones where someone eggs someone else on until they?re fist fightn? mad about a particular configuration, color, part, vender, etc. For instance, anyone with half a brain knows that a real SuperCub should be yellow, but you just can?t teach some people.

Wayne,
I love the Reno air races. I always thought that would be a great venue for a short field competition, or demonstration. In the hours prior to the day's heat races, there is always something going on. Military fly-bys, aerobatics, formation flight, etc. That's where a Cub competition would fit. Watch some short field stuff followed by 500mph Mustangs at 75' above the ground. That would be a good way to spend a weekend.
SB

x sports

Cavy,
Gulkana was a good deal and I wish it was still around, but there is more to it
than jumping off the pavement and landing again. How about up hill or down,
over the mogals, and around the corner, over 50' obstickle. Maybe fly a slalom
from point a to b in the longest possible time[ slowest speed] So peaple could
see what a cub is really able to do. And on the grass or gravel so someone
isn't as likely to skin up his or her plane Wayne

Supercubs at Reno: who can naviagate the pylons the slowest without falling out of the sky...

sj

Slow race. Funny you should mention that.
I use to ride/race a thumper (500 4stroke) and we use to have slow races on a hill climb, last one to the top (without dabbing a foot) won. Harley gatherings traditional have slow races.

Idea for New Holstein...One mile closed course at 500ft, timed event, bust the hard deck and you're DQed, longest time wins.

Cavy, we call that Trials? I think Reno would be great also. Heck that place has all the terrain, except for the mud, marsh, tundra, shale, and uphill would have to be man made.

Wayne, I agree that Gulkana was pretty limited to what a cub can really do? Anyone have any pull with Reno crowd? (big money stuff) only fits the Top Cub and Husky types (just kidding) most of us have busted enough ratty cubs to pay for a new one?

Probably would be rather boring to watch us go around the pylons at slow cub speed

Psst? Wayne hows the project coming?

Tim

I was serious about Reno being a good venue. They have the area to operate, very controlled airspace, rescue and medical personnel, a diverse, performance oriented crowd, a paid gate, concessions, etc. Obviously they're insured. It seems pretty perfect. I bet those go-fast guys would enjoy a little slow flight and short field performance. Maybe the wind would blow about 20-25. How short could you land then? Maybe some flying backwards?
SB

Want to help keep it safe? Put a caulk line at midfield where the take off roll/clock starts. Touch down short = DQ! Clock stops when the wheels stop.

toys

Hi Tim,
pretty slow, but finally got the rudders figured out. starting the split flaps now. I may be
out that way in about a month. I'll try to stop by if I can. Wayne

Toys

Guy's,
I'm talking no more than 10 feet of the ground and plenty of turns, thats why I want the grass just in case we touch the ground sliding. I love slats

Wayne,

Isn't that why Cub made the wing tip bow's out of wood? No sparks in 'Sparks" pun intended!

Tim

Wayne,

I like the idea of a slalom course, if it could be done safely. I don't know how many pilots are really used to that much manuvering close to the ground. Got the grass, hills, mogals, and obsticales to make it interesting.

I've also thought about a Super Cub biathalon. A course set up of different off airport "stations" that would have to be flown to, shortest possible landing made, then shooting at stationary targets or sporting clays, then the shortest possible takeoff made. Pilot would have the option of doing the shooting themselves, or taking the weight penalty of bringing a gunner. Maybe some fly over drop stations with a flour bombing. Best combined score wins. It wouldn't be to hard to set up.

Geez, and I'm guessing that you would probably want to hold this competition on Christmas or Easter day because there aren't too many Feds working those days...

What wouldn't be legal? The biggest concern I would have would be the other dreaded "L" word, Liability.

Slalom

Mark ,
I like it, On the slalom if it was at ground level and below 50 mph it would be hard to
hurt your self [maybe your pride along with your toy] but that is what real compition is
all about. It shore would sepperate the talkers from the doers. there are thoughs who
would do it and a lot that would love to watch. we need both. I think if we could ever
get it started it mite promote the small air craft industry. Look what exstream sports has done
for other sports. some have now become olimpic events. Anything is possible
Wayne

Danger

Talk about danger, How about 10 G airabatics ground level, wingtip to wingtip at 75'
at 500 mph. Now that is what I call danger! Wayne
PS scewup your dead.

This would certainly eliminate any gray area about getting insurance...

Sure glad I put that disclaimer up recently... :eek:

sj

steve said:
This would certainly eliminate any gray area about getting insurance...

Sure glad I put that disclaimer up recently... :eek:

sj

Ya, This from the Vertical Climb King.......

What? Reno....dangerous?
I watched Wayne Handly fly his Raven under the ribbon used for fly-by ribbon cutting, initiated a loop under the ribbon (maybe 10' off the ground), fly a near perfect radius loop, finishing under the ribbon. I closed my eyes every time he did it, and he did it every day for four days, the last in a quartering wind of near 25mph. He pulled level at what, 150 mph, at less than 10'? Of course, he entered the show by doing 64 rotations in an inverted flat spin, talking casually on the intercom the whole time. Yep, you see some cool stuff at Reno.
SB

New Holstein

Guys,
Is there any chance of some comp. events or demo's by the different outfits and
showing their products at New Holstein this year. They talked about it last year and
some wined about it. No one is being pushed to compete.
Maybe Sherpa, Maule, husky,CC,Dakotacub. They will all be in the area then.
Wayne

Wayne the main problem with all the manufactures that you mentioned are already at the show and to get the aircraft out of the display area, over to New Holstein and back is one big pain.

Matt

Back