• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tube Oil

C-YQK

Have finished welding all the tubes on my fuselage and am trying to get a good idea of just how much oil to insert in each section. Especially the bottom longeron. Don't want to put to much in because of weight but also want to make sure there is enough to do the job.Anyone have any ideas on that?
Also any recomendations on oil or other products.Thanks

5/8" diameter or less tubing, 1 C.C. per foot
1" diameter or less tubing, 1.5 C.C. per foot
1.5" diameter or less tubing, 2 C.C. per foot
2" diameter or less tubing, 3 C.C. per foot

Put it in hot on the high end so it will run the full length of the tubes. Then rotate the fuselage 90 degrees at a time flat, letting it sit at each 90 degrees at least 5 minutes so the oil will coat the entire tube. I've used Tubeseal (Stits product) or linseed oil.

tube oil

In the back of the polyfiber/stits book. or on the back of the poly tubeseal can are the instructions and amounts to use. Same as the previous reply from supercub-md.

I used linseed oil on my J3 a couple of years ago, what else is being used lately?

I decided to coat the insides of my stabilizer tubes with linseed oil prior to installing them for long term preservation. I thought that this would be a good idea, particularly since it will be spending most of it's life on floats. So I stood the stabilizer on it's tip and started pouring. After using about a half a gallon, hearing the oil sloshing around inside and not filling the tube I became suspicious. When I picked it up to look, the linseed oil ran out of the drain hole in the fabric all over my shoe. Guess what! The spar is not welded completely around to the tip rib. Ha Ha I had not even thought about this. At least the inside of the fabric will not rust!!! :lol: :bang

I decided to coat the insides of my stabilizer tubes with linseed oil prior to installing them for long term preservation. I thought that this would be a good idea, particularly since it will be spending most of it's life on floats. So I stood the stabilizer on it's tip and started pouring. After using about a half a gallon, hearing the oil sloshing around inside and not filling the tube I became suspicious. When I picked it up to look, the linseed oil ran out of the drain hole in the fabric all over my shoe. Guess what! The spar is not welded completely around to the tip rib. Ha Ha I had not even thought about this. At least the inside of the fabric will not rust!!! :lol: :bang

Although not Fun for you this was a good laugh for me this morning............Thanks.

Back