• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wagstaff or Wien?

This is just sort of a random inquiry about something I've wondered. It seems to me that "remote area access" flying and aerobatic flying are both deeply rooted in a desire for general independence, an appreciation of the specialized machines themselves, and a raw passion for the purity of flying (indeed, even at the expense of many other things, to include personal safety). Given these commonalities (to the extent they do in fact exist), is there much cross-over / cross-association between these two flying communities, or are the groups instead more insular and separated? My initial (wholly uninformed) instinct is that the immense amount of dedication required to pursue one of these types of flying to any high degree of competence would largely rule out the pursuit of the other. Observations / thoughts?

Newbie,

My initial thought is that you puke a lot less during the flight for the remote area work, but maybe more after you land in the wrong place...

sj

I for one feel any pilot would increase there abilitys and confidence taking some aerobatic classes. It has been one of my desires to fly with a good aerobatic instructor for some time now. When I was learning to fly my cub my old instructor took me through some aerobatics. Books will only teach you so much the experience turned the lights on for me and I am a better pilot for it.

So to answer your question even thought we fly different style aircraft in different situations we are all working to increase our knowledge, understandings and abilitys. This web site is proof of that most everyone that visits here is learning.

Cub_Driver

Newbie,

The man's name was Wien. Wein is a short hot dog.

Get some aerobatic instruction. Better yet, get some EMT training from the likes of Rich Stowell.

Either will make you a better, safer pilot.

Mike V

observations

Newbie: I think it's more a matter of geographics. There just is not much aerobatic flying going on in the bush, where most of the off airport takes place. On the other extreme there aren't many bush-rats hanging out at the airports or airshows where, the aerobatic types hang out, which is a shame because both groups operate on the edge of their respective pursuits and could learn much from one another.

I think every pilot can benefit immensely from aerobatic training, or more specifically, Emergency Maneuvers training. I took a class from a protege of Rich Stowell's, Tim Brill, here in Reno with the Aerobatic School and Flying Company. It was awesome. Sure, I felt like hucking my guts many a time, but there really is no substitute for doing the real thing. We did loops, rolls, hammerheads, snap rolls, immelmans, half cubans, and sequences. He spent a long time in Alaska himself, so he was able to tailor the course to mountain flying for me, covering maneuvers that could save your a$$ in a dead end canyon, etc... Spin ENTRY, and yes, recovery too, were hammered into my thinking tissue. We split it all between a PA-18 and a Super Decathlon. In the end, I didn't really end up wanting to do aerobatics all the time, I just am more confident about flying into the backcountry.

Z

Back