• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ACF-50 and Floats

cubpilot2

SPONSOR
Anchorage Alaska
Has anyone have experience using ACF-50 as a corrosion preventative on the inside of floats? Have wanted to do this but am concerned that it may soften the sealants and cause leakage.

I always sloshed a little Prestone in mine. Stops corrosion and prevents water from freezing, expanding, and opening up seams.
SB

Prestone is a no-no in contact with aluminum floats, I am told. Now, ask me who told me that, and I'll probably get a little vague, but I do think it was credible. I know, some radiators in cars are aluminum. Then again, there's aluminum and there's aluminum. Radiators are cheaper than floats, too.

In any case, I've been using for a number of years, the RV anti-freeze that is readily available. I've talked to several folks who know aluminum well and floats well, and they all say this is a fine product to use in contact with aluminum.

As to ACF 50 for corrosion prevention, it should work fine. It is designed to protect aluminum.

Why not?

Mike

Hi Mike---My vague memory supports yours on the prestone----but it wasn't for being harmful to the alum. It supposedly ate the sealer on the EDO float. In any case---I was told by the old Mat-Air on Anderson lake quite some time ago---they should know. I haven't a clue on the newer floats and sealers. Hope I remembered right. Also--cubpilot---ran my 2000s in the salt for years. Bolt on zincs work great. The only corrosion i got was when my zincs would get smaller therefore looser and lose the bond. It shows up quick. Sacrificial corrosion is a wonderful thing.

Mark

Mark:
Where do you get the Zincs and how are they installed? How long should they last? Not planing to get into the salt but who knows. How do you protect the rest of the airframe?

Well, I used Prestone for years and it worked great. Those floats never needed pumping, ever, so the sealants didn't fail. I'd use it again tomorrow, but I sold my floats.
SB

First off---stewartb--sorry for the misinformation. Made a phone call to the person I attributed the advice. He says that the slime left makes the floats difficult to patch(not sure why--should have asked) and it is toxic when you pump it out. Not a problem with the sealer.

Cubpilot--I think it was Midnight Sun boat supply or something like that in Anc. They are approx 2in in dia split down the middle with a bolt thru the two halves threaded into the zinc to hold them together. Take them apart and it looks like two contact lenses. I attatch them in the large hole (beaching gear hole??) at the step on the keel. I put the curved sides into the hole on either side and get a longer stainless bolt and nut to attach them. Keep them tight as they loosen up as they corrode and get smaller. For the fuselage I get a gallon of acf-50 and fog the tail section and under the floorboards with a solvent spryer at least once a year. Tail feathers I take a spray can with the small tube extension and shoot up thru every seaplane grommet. You Anc guys have a worse problem with the duck wooster water etc at lake hood than the salt. You can spot a set of lake hood floats flying overhead at 2000'. Talk about toxic!! A bit wordy but hope this answers your question. Again sorry for the misinformation stewartb--best of intentions.

Mark

Back