• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spinning Documentation

David Verbisky

Hello all. Wondering if anyone knows where I might find proof that Super Cubs are legal for spins. Yes, I'm aware of the utility category, but I've got a DFTE up here (northeastern British Columbia) who wants more than that. My POH doesn't say the aircraft is legal or not for spins - I have a 1957 Ag model 150. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers. :-?

David,

You should have a flight manual for the Cub. This is a one page document, which is required to be in the plane at all times when in flight. This is not the operating handbook. It will state on the face that it must be in the aircraft at all times during flight.

Lots of discussion of this on another thread on this list.

In any case, the flight manual will tell you specifically what maneuvers the airplane is approved for.

Note that the utility category provides for spins, but only at a gross weight of 1500 pounds.

Mike V

To clarify a bit, what I'm looking for is a written statement somewhere saying Super Cubs are legal to spin in the utility category. Does anyone have a POH from a newer (post-1974) Super Cub that indicates this? We all know Cubs enter/recover spins just fine, but I need proof on paper spins are legal in the PA-18(A)-150. Thanks for the help. David V.

Whoever is asking the question is being a bit of a dick or bureaucrat. I think your airplane, certified under the CAR's as utility, is approved for spins by definition. If spins are not permitted the airplane is placarded with that fact. See http://av-info.faa.gov/dst/CARS/CAM-3-7.pdf which says in part

AIRPLANE CATEGORIES
§ 3.20 Airplane categories. (a) For the purpose of certification under this part, airplanes are divided upon
the basis of their intended operation into the following categories:
(1) Normal suffix N. Airplanes in this category are intended for nonacrobatic, nonscheduled passenger, and
nonscheduled cargo operation.
(2) Utility suffix U. Airplanes in this category are intended for normal operations and limited acrobatic
maneuvers. These airplanes are not suited for use in snap or inverted maneuvers.
NOTE: The following interpretation of paragraph (a) (2) was issued May 15, 1947, 12 F.R. 3434: The phrase
?limited acrobatic maneuvers? as used in § 3.6 (now § 3.20) is interpreted to include steep turns, spins, stalls (except
whip stalls), lazy eights, and chandelles.

The last post is correct, but I would re-iterate that you must have a copy of the flight manual (NOT the pilot operating handbook) in the plane in any case, and it will SPECIFICALLY state, for your aircraft whether spins are approved or not.

The airplane is certainly approved for spins, IF it is still legal in the utility category (NOTE that virtually any modification of the aircraft automatically voids use in the utility category, such as tires, baggage compt, long gear, etc, etc, etc.) There are very few Cubs that can legally be operated in the utility category, ie: they've not been modified in such a way as to take them out of the utility category, and/or their empty weight is low enough to enable two people and gas and still stay under 1500 pounds, the utility category max gross weight.

Maybe the bigger issue your instructor should worry about is whether you have a flight manual in the aircraft. If not, it isn't legal for flight at all, spinning or not.

Mike V

Back