• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Getting Tube and Fabric Experience

veddhead

I'd like to eventually add an A&P ticket to my flight bag, and I'm really interested in SuperCubs, J-3s, Huskies and others (Stearmans mostly). I'd like to find local owners or tinkerers and gain some weekend experience recovering and doing minor work....assisting building experimentals or even rebuilding/restoring.

Anyone have any suggestions on finding owners/restorers/builders that need help from someone that's eager to learn?

Is the EAA a good source?

christopher
former Clipped Wing Cub owner.
Dallas, TX

EAA chapters are your best bet. I'm in Graham, TX about 120 miles to your West. I do tube and fabric work for a living. Am looking at a Super Cub, 3 Clipper frames, Pacer frame a Stinson 108-3 w/220hp and a Luscombe project right now in my shop. Drop me a PM if you want to get dirty.

I know of a few A&P's / restorers around DFW. One of them is located at Clark Field about 20 miles out HWY 114. He would probably be more than happy to talk to you / let you help out around the shop. He deals with old taildraggers and experimentals. Leroy Keener is the other one. He is at Northwest Reg. and specializes in Stearman restorations. PM for more details.

Back