• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Tail wheel spring tension and Leveling punch mark.

piperjak

Lincoln, NE.
1981 PA18-150. What is the correct tension for the tailwheel springs. Should the chains be taunt or have some slack?

I know the leveling dot is supposed to be on the aft door hinge. I have cleaned this area good and still cannot see the punch mark. Any help on where it might be?

It has been a couple of years since I rigged my plane but I remember my leveling point was on the lower door tube about 2" up from the back door frame post.

My tail springs have been set up with tension on them I am not sure exactly why but would assume it would be a more stable configuration rather then have the springs slapping around.

Hope this helps.

Cub_Driver

I set the tension for the tail steering springs so that there is no slack, but also no tension. If you set up the springs with some tension, I think you will see more wear on the lower rudder pivot.

T.J.

Yeah, I also have put the eye bolts on the lower horn. That is the way the scott drawings show the installation. This works well and you don't get the holes in the horn worn badly. What I was trying to write was the wear on the lower hinge of the rudder. If you have tension in the springs the lower hinge will wear fast. My tailwheel steering works great with little to no spring tension.
:)

A convenient way to level your airplane front to rear is by reversing the weighing procedure. Here's one way: Drop a blumb bob from the leading edge just outside the main wheel axle. Keep lifting the tail until your string (your datum) is 2.25" (check your W&B for actual length of the arm) forward of the axle centerline. Your airplane is now level. Hope this helps.

S.F.
Nick

Back