• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Alaska vacation questions/advice

GreggB

East Boston
Hi all, I am a SC pilot wannabe, currently getting my tailwheel endorsement in a J3. This a non SC question but as many folks here are in alaska I thought it would be a good place to seek out advice. I've always wanted to fly to and around AK l My wife and I won airline tickets to AK. I would like to rent a plane when I'm up there a spam can would be fine as I'm not intending to go teach myself how to fly the bush I would just like to fly someplace interesting and away from the cruise ship clientile. Any advice on where to rent (probably out of anchorage?) and places to fly to (airports) we have the milepost and a bunch of tourist guides, was also wondering if the Alaska Logbook put out by the AK airmen is worthwhile.
Thanks,
Gregg

Gregg,

The Alaska Airmen's logbook is your best single source of information for flying to and in Alaska if you are unfamiliar. It will give you most of the basics as well as things to look out for that aren't in the supplement or on a sectional.

I've never rented an aircraft up here, but I would think that one of the flight schools in Anchorage would rent you a C-172 once you satisfy their checkout requirement. You might want to brush up on your mountain flying technique if you plan to do any sight seeing in the mountains. There are lots of one day flightseeing opportunities around Anchorage. Just pick a direction.

Hey Gregg, What time of year are you planning on comming? In order to get a feel of AK flying, you need to get with somebody that has a Cub of a PA-12 and show you what it is all about. Once you land out in the bush you wont ever want to land at an airport again. Let me warn you, if you got the bug to fly tailwheel and you come up here and land out on some gravel bar; be prepared to move. There is nothing to compare to Bush Flying! Good Luck on your trip.
Feel free to contact me: ronpayne@gci.net

Ron

Kenai peninsula is "close" to Anchorage and very s

I live in Homer, 105 nautical miles South of Anchorage. The Gulf of Alaska side of the Kenai Peninsula is some of the most scenic real estate you'll find. Also very unforgving, with very LOCAL weather. Don't fly it by yourself. I'm listed in the Homer phone book. If you get this far call me and I'll show you around in my plane, or do a tag-team flight....Ray Fowler

Back