• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

For good grades

pa19guy

Anchorage, AK
Calling all Greatland Cubbers,

I need your help.
My daughter Allison has done exceptional on her spelling and math homework, shes 8, and her request is a fly in overnight camping trip.
We have a PA 19 150 on 26" goodyears and I manage Olson Creek but would like somewhere smoother.
Based at Hood Strip.
I'm looking for a destination within an hour and hopefully a cabin.
Currently have calls into Forestry for cabins and no luck yet.
I heard about a strip at the tip of Eklutna Lake any comments?
Anybody needing something hauled we are just looking for a destination.

Thanks in advance for all your help
There might be another post out there I lost the first one.

Hi.

Bold Strip at the south end of Eklutna lake is a fine place to camp (even has a Cabin). The strip is lovely, and there are even tie downs over toward the outhouse. I've gone there on occasion, the scenery is great, and it is nice and close. The strip isn't very long though, so get a good look at it before you commit. If you come in too hot landing toward the lake, you are going to go for a swim. :p
Another spot is up by Knik Glacier...there you will see a strip and a fine spot for a tent. Just don't roll over the middle of the strip, land on one end or the other. You'll see, it kind of dog-legs, and that middle part is a bit of a hump that would wreak nameless havoc on a fellow's landing apparatus.
Or, just find a spot of your own! :D
Cheers,

Andy

Thanks so much for the info. I will head out this afternoon to scout them out and land a cuple of times nice and light. I might haul in some firewood.

Mr. C,
Don't get yourself weathered in, or your "special time" won't be so special. Where you go isn't that important to your kid, it's just getting to go and spend some 1-on-1 time with her dad. Make her the star, keep her comfortable, and she'll have fun, no matter where you go.
Stewart

Thanks for the input

I find myself really trying to stay active with the kids because at about 12 or so they become like real people and start having a "life" as they call it. I want them to chose to have me as part of their "life"
Yea, I'm a nerdy dad of 2 lots of people but that's fine with me.

All in a kid's life...

Pa 19 Guy,

More power to you. My kids are 9 and 11 so you and I are pretty close. She will remember the good time with Dad. My 11 year olds best adventure is camping with her girlfriends with me just close enough to help out. 3 years ago it was one on one with me. Got my son, 9, west of the Cook inlet to spot bears and land and explore this August. He remembers that well. As StewartB said, good weather is a key for them to enjoy it at this age - or at any age.

Like you, I'm working to keep making good memories.

Bob Breeden

Enjoy them while you have the opportunity! I remember being there for our three being born and then was "head down" for 18 years in our Plastics business. Now I have some spare time, but the kids are now 21, 19 and 16 and could really care less about "one on one" with Dad anymore (unless it's to hand off the University tuiton cheques!!) :(

Cheers,
Wayne

Back