• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Progress...

FlipFlop

Maintaining at Flight Level Zero, requesting lower
I was going through some old paperwork (aka cleaning my files) and found Change 1 (07/21/89) to the Order 8300.10, Chapter 1, Perform Field Approval of Major Repairs and Major Alterations...

The latest change, 16, is 26 pages and Change 1 was 6 pages... Progress...

From time to time, I get asked why the FARS are so vague and not black and white... My answer is always, "careful what you ask for, you might get it"...

If the FARS are rewritten to be more black and white you can count on them being more restrictive rather than less, it's the nature of the beast... Personally, I like the FARS being open to interpretation and discussion, gives the little guy a chance...

I've always felt the same about FAA Inspectors, if we "cookie cutter" them we'll end up with robots, everything "by the book"... I'd much rather deal with humans, even with their faults...

Back to cleaning the files...

Cuby,

In theory I agree with you, this subject is "subjective" (no pun intended) I have found the challenge to be "egoes" out of check??? It seems in the last 10-15 years that there has been less and less "good, common sense" inspectors hired at the FSDO's?? seems the older ones have retired, or got "FED" (no pun intended again) up and have left to pursue a "life" in the private sector (many of which are now "DER's"??? this is ok but it now just feeds the burerocracy" as the process is now pushing what was FA in house to these guys to get "more engineering"/more cost?

I am not saying that more engineering is a bad thing, it is fact though that many things don't need near the detail now being given by a "contracted engineer" Like a simple box to hold the maps? all that is needed is common sense location and part 43 standards applied??

Back to the regs: How much of the Knowledge base (personel) is being shared between FSDO offices? in regards to approvals of Field approvals?

I know that some offices are approving "cub mods" where some are just saying 'NO" not with out an STC or DER submitted engineering?

Seems the agenda is still CYA and to force "manufactures to make "improvements to design", WHAT ABOUT THE MAJORITY OF US THAT DON'T OWN current production planes??

Sorry for getting off topic alittle?

Tim

REMINDES ME OF THE STATE OF OREGON! the Govenor just signed a bill to increase the STATE speed limit to 70 mph for cars, 65 for truck, yeh! the problem is the State DOT says it will take them 12-18 months to study which roads should this new law apply to?? (just ask those that drive on them (it will take us about 5 minutes to compile and accurate list!) "PROGRESS"

PA12driver said:
Cuby,

In theory I agree with you, this subject is "subjective" (no pun intended) I have found the challenge to be "egoes" out of check??? It seems in the last 10-15 years that there has been less and less "good, common sense" inspectors hired at the FSDO's?? seems the older ones have retired, or got "FED" (no pun intended again) up and have left to pursue a "life" in the private sector (many of which are now "DER's"??? this is ok but it now just feeds the burerocracy" as the process is now pushing what was FA in house to these guys to get "more engineering"/more cost?

I am not saying that more engineering is a bad thing, it is fact though that many things don't need near the detail now being given by a "contracted engineer" Like a simple box to hold the maps? all that is needed is common sense location and part 43 standards applied??

Back to the regs: How much of the Knowledge base (personel) is being shared between FSDO offices? in regards to approvals of Field approvals?

I know that some offices are approving "cub mods" where some are just saying 'NO" not with out an STC or DER submitted engineering?

Seems the agenda is still CYA and to force "manufactures to make "improvements to design", WHAT ABOUT THE MAJORITY OF US THAT DON'T OWN current production planes??

Sorry for getting off topic alittle?

Tim

REMINDES ME OF THE STATE OF OREGON! the Govenor just signed a bill to increase the STATE speed limit to 70 mph for cars, 65 for truck, yeh! the problem is the State DOT says it will take them 12-18 months to study which roads should this new law apply to?? (just ask those that drive on them (it will take us about 5 minutes to compile and accurate list!) "PROGRESS"

Good insight Bro...

Back