• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushwheel question

S

StewartB

You that have Bushwheels or Airstreaks, how many mount them so the filler valve is pointing to the inside vs. out, and why? (No, I don't have a reason for asking, just curious.)
SB

Inside........don't know why........just saw others mounted that way.

Inside AND outside.

My 'streaks are outside. The latest Bushwheel set I put on an -18 was put inside. The Husky I did before that was done outside.

I think the next sets will go on the inside. Obviously the stems will be protected from brush if inside. Not sure if it matters much.

DMC

I put mine outside so it is easier to fill the LEAKER. My left tire has been a leaker since the day I put it on!!! Anyone have any good ideas on how to stop the leak besides the spray in fix-a-flat that would require taxiing around for a day or two. I loose about 2-3 psi in 2 weeks. Pretty agrivating for a $3600 investment. Les Schwab would replace it no questions asked but not Bushwheels!!
85 Mike

Pumped it up to 25 PSI and sprayed it with soap solution including valve stem. NO appearant leak!!
85 Mike

You've changed the valve core, I assume. After that. I'd go to a bicycle shop and get some "Green Slime." It's a thick liquid, no propellant, that you squirt in, then roll the tire around to coat the inside. It's worked well on tires I've used it on. I don't like the propellent/latex stuff, unless it's on a car that's got a flat.

If you leave yours long enough, does the tire go flat, or just level-out at a certain pressure?
SB

I mounted my stems of my 31" bushwheels on the outside just for ease of inflating or deflating the tire.

Funny 85Mike's left tire is leaking so is mine, but it is such a slow leak I have never tried to find it. I have pumped the tire twice this last summer and have not touched my right tire.

Cub_Driver

Okay, this is beginning to sound like a conspiracy. My left 29" Bushwheel also had a very slow leak. The Bushwheel folks recommended "fix a flat". I put in a can of it and so far it has worked. At least it hasn't needed pumping in the last two weeks.

You do need to use a low pressure tire gauge (0-15 PSI or so) to detect changes in PSI. The gauge I got was for ATV tires (available at the local ATV/Snowmachine dealer). Works a lot better than the conventional high pressure tire gauge.

Stems

My Air Streak stems are on the outside and Bushwheels are on the inside. Why are the Bushwheel stems on the inside you might ask. There is more raised writing and stuff on that side and I thought they looked better with the plain side out. P.S. the more I fly them the more I like them, they saved my @#$ two weeks ago while out in the middle of nowhere landing the 14 on a 250' stretch of crap and dropped in too short on stumps, boulders and digger heads. Stopped in about 80' but almost over on my back in the process. I about kissed them 31" radials when I got out of the plane to clean out my drawers. I litterally bounced my way through that crap, hey, I think I've come up with a new short field landing technique. I think I'll go out and try it again. Crash

I like honesty. I didn't care for all the technical writing on the valve side, either. I mounted them valve side in.
SB

AK Bushwheels wants you to rotate the tires from inside to outside (on the same side). I do mine at every 100 hour inspection.

By the way, we have way over 1500 concrete landings on those 31" radials and they are still going strong.

So depends on how they are rotated where the stems are.

sj

Hey Guys--

You can thank your FAA for all the wrighting that has to be on the side wall of the tire, it has to be there for the TSO , otherwise it would have been left off and saved us a few $$$'s in the machine shop when we had the molds cut. The tires might be a little lighter if I didn't have to use so much rubber to fill all those letters!!

All kidding aside we do recomend rotating your tires (on the rim) from time to time especially those of you that are on assphalt alot not needed so much on the 100% grass strip use. We figure that a half a can of Fix-a-flat in each tire will prevent most small leaks and is a added safety feature too, the slime works great too because it will fix the bigger holes that you might get from BIG thorns or rock punctures.

Wup :morning:

85mike, if you have a defective TSOd tire from a current manufacture I would suggest you contact your local FSDO and have them investigate it.

85Mike, I bought my 31" Radials in the spring and lose 3 lbs every two weeks out of the left tire and 1 lb out of the right. I am extremely discusted with the quality control after paying their exorbitant price! Maybe I'll try the fix-a-flat. Yup, is that FAA approved? Don't answer that! Do you think Leading Edge needs to send a tube of JB Weld along with their new exhaust? Don't answer that either. Fortunately the tires work great with air in them. D C 8)

Lack of competition breeds complacency.

I would sugguest contacting the manufacturer first, and see what they can do for you before you rant and rave and call your attorney about it.

It will be cheaper for you to do so, and you might get the problem fixed.

sj

As Sj said Call me !! if there is a problem we fix it , but if you don't call me I can't do much for the problem its that simple.

Steve, Yikes, an attorney. Those are for people who live in a big city and sit in the back seat. I do neither. As for cheaper it sounds like Wup (the manufacturer unless I'm mistaken) suggests a $2.00 can of Fix-a-flat will fix my $3700.00 tires. Thats less than I would pay for the phone call and easier than taking them off and sending them back. So I guess my problem is solved. I should be happy now right? :D Oh look the sun is coming up I'm going flying I'll be better when I come back I promise.
D C 8)

Although I have had great luck with my bushwheels, I understand how frustrating product problems can be since I am in the computer industry. We frequently spends scads of money, install stuff, rely on it, only to have to un-install, un-rely, and ship it back for some kind of repair. I have to have two of almost everything I buy, one for backup. It is the only way to keep things going.

So, the best thing for you to do is to buy a second set of Bushwheels to have around JUST in case....

sj

Yeah DC..........and I will store them for you free of charge. :lol:

Bushwheels

I had a problem with my Bushwheels and they addressed my problem right away, perfect service. This is a good company that did the right thing. For whatever it is worth, a 1 psi. loss per month is considered normal in car tires.

Tire pressure!

"There's a tear in my beer", Have you experienced any temperature changes such as the ones we've been experiencing in Anchorage? I have had lot's of tire in my life that loose pressure. It is most likely magnified in the Bushwheels because of the size (volume of air) and the low pressures that you start out with! Hmmm, like others beore me stated, check with the mfg company to see if they have any advise before striking blasphemously!

Happy Landings!

Wup, Those darn tires you all makes der in yosef oregon are too dern round, I used ta be able to stay awake by the vibration frm tkn off. As fer the valve stems seems it is good to hide dem stems on da inside, always ends up undr dem der brake thingys tho? (can you makes me some with red letters to match my plane??)

I can sure agrees with crash that theys are more fergiving in the crap! trust me Iss knows cuase lots of my landings are crappy.

sure do miss that checking on the side walls that we used to get with the old bushwheels and airstreaks.

You all keep up the good work! (how's them ther 35 X6's comins along.

Heck DC sit down and have a sip of Jack Daniels, and it will all feel better!

Tim

Tim

35" by 6" holy moly stop the madness!

I have to wonder why a man needs such a big tire :lol: .

Hey DC I will be happy to :drinking: some of that Jack with you.

Cub_ Driver

DC,

I can understand your frustration at spending the money and then having a slow and steady leak that won't stop. And then to be told to use Fix-a-flat? Geez.
Anyway, they are the best tire out there, and no one else is making them so I guess we'll keep working them and paying big bucks for them.
By the way, how's my old -12 running? :p

Andy

Back