• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wag aero wings?

107ch

Steven Point,WI
Can you put Wag Aero wings made from plans on a super cub fuse?(experimental). Or are they radically different?
Thanks

I'm not an expert, but I was under the impression the Wag aero is a cub, not super cub. The spars are different. You can see it inside the cockpit.
But check with and expert.
Pete

My Cuby wings are like a J-3... I think (therefore, I have a headache) that Anne's Super Cuby wings are like a Super Cub...

Si, Matt, or James can probably tell you all about that...

sj

Yes SJ we can and I'll do it this weekend when I have more time to hunt and peck an answer out on the confuser.

Matt

Do you have the metal or wood wings?

The biggest differences are the front spar attachment, the routing of the aileron cross cable, and fuel tank(s) installation.

Have look over at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/piper-cub-builders/
Here is a quote from there, the question was asking 'what was the closest Wag model to the PA18'
I would imagine that the Sport Trainer with the modifications to
include a 0-320/290/235 and a pressure cowl would be closest to the
Supercub, but what you really have is a PA-11. The main spare meets
at the top center of the fusalage in the J-3/PA-11/Wag Aero Sport
Trainer, instead of outboard like a PA-18, so the spar configuration
is different If the 0-320 is installed in the Wag Aero, additional
bracing has to be added from the spar attach point down to the
fusalage. That's four tubes between you and the windsheild. If you
want a PA-18, start with a PA-18 airframe.

He mentions the spar differences.

Call Wag Aero for the definitaive answer.

Pete

Thanks for the info. I am working on a fuselage from the northland drawings , but had started a wing from the WAG drawings. I was just hoping to be able to use them. The metal wings a very expensive!

The Wag wings can be all aluminum, aluminum spar with wood ribs, or wood spar with wood ribs (that's from the catalog). Sounds like you are building all wood? I only have experience with their all wood wings, they are definately the least expensive way to go if you have the time.

I would think you could use them by shortening the front spars and aligning the attachment like a PA18. You may also want to run the aileron cross cable high like a PA18 so that it won't be right in your face. The cable will have to be worked around or through whatever fuel tanks you are going to use. These are just guesses, maybe someone else out there has actually done this before.

Mark you are correct. The wing construction can be all three. If one were going to put flaps on then I would stay with the all aluminum. The wood spar wood rib combo is good if you are building with no flaps ( PA-18 95) but the amount of work to build flaps out of wood just isn't worth the amount labor involved. ( My Opinion). I just welded in a tube for the balance cable in the gas tanks.

Matt

Back