PDA

View Full Version : Musings of a pilot/father

piperfan
09-11-2003, 12:33 PM
As a relatively new father and pilot (my daughter is almost 3 and I've had my license for a little over a year now), I am always learning and experiencing new things. The most recent experience involves both and I had to share it. I've been taking my daughter flying in our PA-12 ever since I got my license (only in perfect weather, of course). She has always seemed to enjoy it, or so I thought, but I figured she enjoyed playing with the other young children at the airport (there are quite a few) more than she did flying. Well, earlier this week she asked me out of the blue if we could go flying! Being the good father that I am, I dropped everything I was doing and we went right out to the airport and flew for about a half an hour. We have been flying every day since, per her insistance. And, one of those days there were quite a few children out there that she plays with, but she still prefered to go flying! There is nothing more gratifying than making your loved ones happy and flying, and it's even better when you can do both at the same time!! I'm sure many of you out there have experienced the same thing, but I just had to share this.........I'm counting the minutes until I can go home and go flying with my daughter again!

FlipFlop
09-11-2003, 12:45 PM
As a relatively new father and pilot (my daughter is almost 3 and I've had my license for a little over a year now), I am always learning and experiencing new things. The most recent experience involves both and I had to share it. I've been taking my daughter flying in our PA-12 ever since I got my license (only in perfect weather, of course). She has always seemed to enjoy it, or so I thought, but I figured she enjoyed playing with the other young children at the airport (there are quite a few) more than she did flying. Well, earlier this week she asked me out of the blue if we could go flying! Being the good father that I am, I dropped everything I was doing and we went right out to the airport and flew for about a half an hour. We have been flying every day since, per her insistance. And, one of those days there were quite a few children out there that she plays with, but she still prefered to go flying! There is nothing more gratifying than making your loved ones happy and flying, and it's even better when you can do both at the same time!! I'm sure many of you out there have experienced the same thing, but I just had to share this.........I'm counting the minutes until I can go home and go flying with my daughter again!

Make the most of this time... When my Son was young we went everywhere together and he was always in the airplane with me... When he hit the mid-teen years it all changed...

Cub Kid
09-11-2003, 10:16 PM
Make the most of this time... When my Son was young we went everywhere together and he was always in the airplane with me... When he hit the mid-teen years it all changed...

Let us not forget how important these flights are for the kids too. My dad got me started by necessity when I was quite young, and as time went on, it became more and more enjoyable. Now that I am an "adult" I still work with my dad when I am not at school, and we both love to fly with each other (regardless of who is PIC)

Bill