• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Will I Fit

Rv8tor

Gig Harbor, WA
I've got a stupid question. I got my ppl in a j3 a short time back, tight fit. I was thinking about buying a pa-18. I was wondering if I will fit, I'm 6"6" 245lbs with longer legs 36" inseam.
I don't know anybody around that has a supercub that I could try on as it were. Any big supercub pilots out there? :-?
Thanks

I think you would fit in a PA-12 (at least, you'd fit in mine). Both head room and leg room should work. I'm 6'2" and fit fine. I've had 6'4" pilots in front, and they fit as well. That having been said, I wouldn't expect every PA-12 or PA-18 to fit the same. You can probably find a few in your area to "try on."

I'm 6'4" and well over 250 and still fit in a PA-18. Well, in my PA-18 anyway. I too have long legs and find the biggest problem to be the distance between the firewall and the seat. The width of the cabin never seemed to be the issue.

I extended the seat slide back 3" (through a field approval) and took out the seat cushion and replaced it with a 1" thick custom seat. The panel in my cub is fairly deep so it was a bit more difficult to get my knees under the panel than it would have been with a stock panel.

I have flown unmodified SCubs, and barely fit (again legroom), but I think with a little minor modification, they could be made to work. You need to try a few on to see how they fit. With Tempur foam seat cushions, you can get by with a lot thinner seat and still be relatively comfortable.

I too am 6' 4" and 220#. My supercub has seats that are lower, since it is a CAP cub and was designed (so I have heard) for guys sitting on parachutes. I don't have a headroom problems, so of the other cubs I have flown I do have a headroom problem (I have a long torso and relatively short legs (33" inseam).

I am most comfortable with the seat in the rearmost position, but can go one click up and keep my knees off the dash. I can't fit at all in a husky front seat, my knees knock on the dash the whole time...

sj

At 6'2" and 230, closing in on 60 yrs. and somewhat athletically challenged, I found the act of entry and exit a bigger problem with the 18 than the room available once seated. The 12 I fly is definitely more comfortable on longer flights, with more room to shift around. Also, with the enlarged seaplane door, extending to the rear seat back, and adjustable pilot seat,(field approved Cessna seat on rails) entry and exit rate a 10 compared to about a 4 for the 18. Note: T Craft rates a 0.

If you move the seat back any further than standard you may have to lose the rear stick.
In my L18c with the front seat full back (I'm over 6'2'' with 33" inseam) I can feel the rear stick hitting the back of my seat when checking out full and free.

CC

One more thing you may want to consider is lengthening the rudder cables which might give a little bit more leg room. You can also bend (actually cut and re-weld) the rear seat stick so that it doesn't hit the back of the front seat when pushed forward. The rear seat passenger won't like it too much if they are larger than average, but the rear stick is useable for most folks for BFR or instruction.

Wouldn't one's AI get picky about moving, cuting, and pasting like that? I think mine would..

sj

You definately need to get your AI involved from the beginning. All of these mods were done with the assistance of an AI and were signed off with a field approval. With today's climate of restricted field approvals it may be more difficult, but shouldn't be impossible.

Do any of you have any experience with the North Star cub?
The information on their website sounds pretty good. I haven't been able to find a pa-18 that I fit yet, so I'm considering Experimental. I'd like to find one already built as I'm already building am RV-8. If I can't find a PA-18 that fits, I might have to look into a .... I hate to say it on this website.......A Maule!..... OK I SAID IT!!! :eek:
Rv8tor

RV8tor,
Look at Daytona Cub's website. They offer a 4" wider kit. That should help a bunch. Since it's experimental, you could move the seat back as well.
SB

RV8OR,

Try on a Maule for size as well. Getting in and out of them isn't as peachy as it might seem for a bigger airplane, either.

Mike V

Back