• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub Drivin' Music

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Due to the extreme heat here in KC (today, Bill my AI pointed his heat seeking laser thermometer at the black top and it was 146 degrees), I am working on some things OTHER than flying (like raising money as you already know).

However, I am also trying to practice up on the ol' guitar to play some real cub drivin' music next time I am around the campfire so my guitar does not become firewood due to an irate, margarita infused pilot not likin' my kind o' music.

I already got a few sugguestions from folks:

1. All 260 Jimmy Buffet songs (this may have been from the magaritas)
2. Either country or western songs
3. Kum by Yah (requested by Cubdrvr, which today IS Clinton's birthday)

I like just about every kind of music. If I don't listen to it, I have studied it, yes, I have even studied rap years ago because I was interested in what it was trying to say (my wife barely tolerated this one). Right now I am in a Lucinda Williams phase which I arrived at from a trance dance phase which was just after listening to all the CD's by Yes for about two weeks, with occasional forays into Nanci Griffith...

So what music do you listen to, fellow (or fellow-ette) cub pilot?

sj

POLKA'S? We should have had John at New Holstein airport (guy with the permanent cigar) bring his accordian! He is quite a player I hear.

sj

I also have a laser-guided heat seeking infra-red thermometer, but the last thing I pointed it at, besides the fabric iron, was a set of airstreaks in the sun on a 78 degree F. sunny Alaskan day, seems like a month ago, though maybe even a week ago temps were still high. Just for your info. those tires in direct sunlight were at 159 degrees F. Even the guys with 26"Goodyears oughtta consider what those temps do to a tire.

Anyway......flyin' tunes.....for some reason the Indigo Girls make an acceptable noise while the engine thrumms along for those long trips. Natalie Merchant also.

Believe it or not, John Denver also works, too.

Don't know why, but acoustical guitar sounds nice in the cockpit.

1. funny, the faster the music, the faster and better I ski moguls.
2. there is no music fast enough (even Pantera and the like) for snowmachining.
3. acoustic guitar and mellow music works really nice in the cockpit.

DMC

Shawn Colvin, Keb Mo, Richard Shindell, Jesse Colin Young, Lucy Kaplansky, but Michelle Shocked's "Arkansas Traveler" album may be the best recording ever made. I agree with Nanci Griffith. She played Anchorage last winter. Great show. Lucinda's "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" is special, also. Anything by Allison Krause, or Shelby Lynn. Etta James "Love's Been Rough on Me" is right up there. The Stones are still the best rock show out there. Damn, I love music. I have a 20 gig I-pod that has 450 complete CD's on it. You can carry a lot of music in the plane with one of those.
SB

Hard driving music, such as Jessica by the Allman Bros, makes me want to fly much faster than the cub will go. If I'm practicing manuvers I like music will a hard beat e.g Little Eva's Locomotion and some of Jackie wilson's stuff. I really like flat pickin' and electric lead e.g. Mark K. with Dire Straights. Bella Fleck can rip also. Sometimes I like Louis Armstrong, Hank senior, Merle, the Chicks, Seger, Steve Miller and bluegrass. Like you Steve, at any one time, I might enjoy just about anything with the exception of Big Band. Rap and hip hop hardly qualifies as music although it evolved out of DoWop. I like classic rock and the country music of the 60's through the early 80's. The new stuff is pretty sappy especially from Tim McGraw.

Any sugestions for a portable CD that can hook up to an intercom?pak

Actually, the portable CD or MP3 player is easy, I am thinking of getting one of those satellite radio receivers, anybody have any experience with those?

sj

Michelle Shocked is also one of my favorites. At least the OLD Michelle, I heard she has gone in a new direction...

I like "short, sharp, shocked" a lot, but AT is also good. Love that "Jones' boy aims to play" song.

sj

Oh yes, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE:

Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks any and all albums, including the obscure ones.

sj

Amazing Rhythm Aces. Lyle Lovett. Sheryl Crow. Stevie Ray Vaughn. Van Morrison. Bob Weir. Mark Selby. Melissa Etheridge. And for songs to learn to play by the campfire, Gordon Lightfoot, Cecelio and Kapono, James Taylor, Neil Young, or for those with guitar dexterity, Paul Simon. (He uses chords that are too tough for me.) And don't forget Steely Dan.
SB

Steve,
I long to go back, to where the space is wider,
To ride by horseback, and roll my own smokes.
SB

Whoa. You guys listen to some weird stuff. I like Johnny Cash's Ghost Riders in the Sky. Anything by George Strait or Merle Haggard. If you want to fly hard try some ACDC Hells Bells or Highway to Hell.

Torch

Hmmm...John Denver and flying safely just never seemed to go together.

I've been a drummer/musician for 16 years and like a little bit of everything. If you're just going cross country, some mellow music like the Beatles, Pink Floyd or perhaps Radiohead. Otherwise, put on something hard and fast and have fun landing on the gravel and doing some intense flying.

Hey Steve, we should get together the SuperCub.org band and play at the fly-ins. He he. The only problem is I don't think there's enough beer in the world to make that happen, at least I hope not.

Torch - I am with you on the Johnny Cash.

Bret

Hmmm, let's try Fountains of Wayne, Radiohead, Blur, Flaming Lips, Interpol, Pink Floyd just to name a few. Excellent flying/driving music, makes you feel like you're at a very important part in a movie.

Zane

CDs I included on my trip to New Holstein: Fleetwood Mac, Patsy Cline, Big Head Todd and The Monsters, Robert Zimmerman (aka Bob Dylan), and Mississippi John Hurt.
Trouble with my set-up is I keep cutting out Patsy when I try to sing along with "Crazy." Have to mute my mike.
Tom

I have one of those Creative Zen 20 gig jobs, but I seem to play this stuff all the time.

Pink Floyd, Meddle (you have to support fellow Super Cub owners, Dave Gilmour and Nick Mason)
Doctor Feelgood, 25 years (UK Rhythm and Blues band)
Squeeze, Excess Moderation.
The White Stripes, Elephant.
Queens of the Stone Age, Songs for the deaf.
Sheryl Crow, C?mon C?mon

Pete

I like The Dave mathews Band,Linkin Park,Tool,Pink Floyd,Van Halen( yes even the Van Hagar days) GNR just to name a few.

Matt

I like any music I can understand ( no comments on that please)......but for campfire sing-a-longs the guy to beat, and one of my all time favorites: FRANKIE LANE :cheers

Don't forget the local boys Matt, Violent Femmes "Country Death Song", one of my favorites, I'm sure sj knows "Old Mother Reagan". BoDeans live version of "Idaho" on Joe Dirt Car.

I don't think anyone Mentioned Bob Marley yet. "No Woman No Cry" from the live album, "Redemption Song" from the Uprising album. Can't help but sing alone.

It's probably the most overplayed song ever, but Stone Temple Pilots "Man In The Box" works real well when practicing Acro.

We should book a band for the flyin next year to give sj one evening off. Maybe we can get the Happy Schnapps Combo, big headliners around here.

The violent femes are my second all time favorite, and although I like old mother regan, blister in the sun, CDS, and more money tonight, "Add It UP" is probably the classic fave... Actually, I like 'em all..

All reggae is good..

The dead milkmen, weezer, shawn colvin, peter case, Tbone Burnett...

The Happy Schapps Combo!? Can they play some polka music for Rick?

sj

Stephen Stills "Treetop Flyer" --- classic

Anything by Pink Floyd, Waylon Jennings, Willie, The Pretty Things, Buffet, Pawtuckets, Neil Young, CSN&Y, Old Byrds stuff (when Gram Parsons was still with em')

But my all time fave?.....Beach Boys defintely! Great flying music.

For those who aren't lucky enough to live where there's a good radio station that plays some of the new, excellent music that's available, log on to
www.knba.org
You can listen on-line to Anchorage-based public radio that plays music that you'll never hear otherwise. Quit livin' in the past. Some of these new artists are the real deal.
SB

Pink Floyd... I can hear it now, "welcome, welcome to the machine"... Ahhh...

Stewart B, I agree 100% there is some great new music out there right now, and there is some real crap.

The reason people like "old" music, it that it transports them back to the past, along with all the memories and feelings of time gone by. Nothing wrong with that either.

sj

Motown, Classic Country, Jimmy Buffett, Bob Marley, Classic Blues, stuff we might know most (or at least some) of the words to.

No Barbra Streisand, please.

No Kum ba Ya, please (sorry, Dave).

The phonetic alphabet song.

Anne.

Back