• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

26" Goodyear Pressure

SuperCub MD

Collins, Wisconsin
Those who run these, what is the best pressure range? I'm thinking 7-12 PSI. Trying to get some "legal" numbers for a ICA.

Mark,
I keep my 26" at 8 psi. When I came down to 8D1 at less than 1000' from my strip here in Colorado at 7050' they were a little low. Probably around 6 psi. They "absorbed" my bounces better floating in that thick air.
Tom Mottinger

Mark we run them at 16#'s. Just like the 8.50's. I know some of you will say thats to much but the 0-200 doesn't have the low end grunt the 0-320 has and the fact of the matter is that in winter with 8#'s in them you can hardly get the damn airplane out of the hanger. I think it would push easier on concrete with skis! :crazyeyes:

Matt

Yes, Don't confuse the Goodyear blimp tires with tubeless tundra tires, such as Airwheels or Bushwheels.

The issue with inflation on the Goodyears is that, as a tube type tire, if you run the pressure too low, a touchdown on pavement (or gravel, for that matter) can slip a tire and tube, and cut the valve stem off. You are then officially stranded till finding another tube.

I use between 12 and 18 pounds in the Goodyears. At lower pressures, you may be close to the edge, and just a little atmospheric or altitude change can decrease pressure (or leakeage for that matter), and your next landing could be disappointing.

These aren't bad tires, but they are not really similar to the Bushwheels, except for diameter. I like them better than 8.50 X 6 tires, though, even though they are very close to the same size, because they have no tread, and so don't throw as much junk at the tail when landing in gravel, etc.

Mike Vivion

On comparing the 26"Goodyears to 8.50x6's........Whatever!

the things weigh nearly the same as a 31" radial bushwheel (On wheels the 31 radials are 38.5 pounds each and the 26" Goodyears are 35 pounds each.).....and I'm not so sure that one could quantify that the Goodyears don't throw as much gravel at the aft fuselage and tail as a treaded 8.50 tire does. The 8.50's are lighter than the 26"ers and nearly as tall, plus the contact patch is easily as large or better due to the flatter profile of the 8.50 versus the rounded profile of the 26" Goodyear.

I hesitate to disagree with Mr. Vivion, but I will. I'm no fan of the Blimp tire, sorry.

DMC

I'd agree with you 100 % on the blimp tires being nowhere near the true tundra tires.

I do think that they are as good as the 8.50X10 GarAeros, though, and I've found what I believe is a reduction in rock damage on the horizontal stabilizer with the smooth tires. As you say, though, this is subjective.

And you are absolutely correct, these suckers are heavy.

I couldn't agree with you more that the 8.50's are a better deal, particularly when you consider price and weight.

Want to know what's on my personal plane?

It starts with 8.50.

And don't ever hesitate to disagree with me, that's what these forums are all about, getting different perspectives out there.

Mike

I got 850s, 26 goodyears and 29 non radial bushwheels all mounted on there own 40-60 wheels. I weighed them and this is what I got.

850 24 lbs
26 31 lbs
29 38 lbs

Back