• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Gear to leave home?

K.S.

Anchorage, AK
I ran across some old posts about what to bring along for a trip to AK and wondered what was brought and never used? I like to take the time to sort out what was a waste of space after I get home to avoid packing useless stuff on future trips...

I always pack way too much junk in my Super Cub and never use 90% of it. But you don't always pack it to use, some you pack for an emergency and hope you don't have to use. Seems like every time I leave something out, happens that I need it that time.

I need to take packing lessons from Wilber. That guy knows how to pack nothing but the essentials.

Packing

An old, high time Cub pilot told me "a heavy Cub is a dangerous Cub" and when I pack, I have that in mind. Pack like it's a backpack you're going to carry on your back, then it's fun to fly and you are not afraid of going in somewhere tight. Crash

He doesn't go into anywhere that is tight with the load that he carries in the supercub to entertain the masses. :wink:

Matt

Let me explain it this way. If you can make enough really good friends in AK, you can probably travel pretty light.

Most of the stuff I took on our trip ended up going unused. That's because some great guys rescued us from having to live in tents for 2 weeks. Instead of using solar showers, we used the local's (you'd know this guy) lake cabin. Instead of wearing our clothes for a week at a time, we washed them at the local's place. Instead of eating freeze-dried foods, we used the guy's car to buy steaks and fresh groceries on a regular basis. Another cub driver put us up in his bear camp. We stayed at some nice places with roofs over our heads courtesy of our local guides and friends. We only used our tents when we were actually in the bush or at some airport in transit.

One of the local boys even makes midnight beer deliveries to very remote places. You just can't buy this kind of service or take it with you in a Cub. :drinking:

So my advice is to make more friends, take more beer, take less food, clothes and camping stuff.

Anyone need some freeze-dried food?

murph

Murph:
Are you trying to give away my emergency rats? Don't be doing that, if I keep going across the Inlet with old Bear Dog, my wife may run me off and I'll need them. By the way, is there any Dog food in the box?

TJ:

I'm pretty sure all that stuff is dog food. It might be good for bear repellent as well. If you'd put that stuff in your bear cabin, you could probably get rid of those nail boards. I don't think any self-respecting bear would eat that stuff.

I still have another full box of the delectible stuff here, too. If old Duke gets too hungry, I'll send you some more.

murph

Back