• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Use of masking tape

bobnall

Hillsboro, OR
I'm in the process of rebuilding my SC, and in taking off the old fabric I'm finding a lot of making tape, the paper kind, and it's a real b---- to get off. Question is, is this normal for masking tape to be used. I was under the impression that cloth tape was supposed to be used, but I'm hearing from my IA and others that this is normal, but I think that Stits discourages its use.

Not that it matters at this point, I still have to take off the old and I will use cloth tape to replace it, but just curious.

Bob

That darn tape

Masking tape degrades over time, turns brown and starts to disintergrate. Some people use it; some people don't. I don't. Cloth tape isn't that expensive when you measure its durability, compatability, etc. Clyde Smith Jr of the Cub Club uses good quality clear packaging tape (3M) as chafe tape.

You will find that MEK or any other kind of solvent will make fairly quick work of the masking tape.

Remember the "Hairy Bum" test--that's what is ultimately going in the airplane. Every bit of work you do on the aircraft needs to pass the HB test.....

It is not really a good idea to use masking tape if you live in a humid climate. Masking tape tends to absorb humidity, acting as a starting point for corrosion.

Bent

Never, ever, EVER, use paper masking tape under fabric. You might as well soak it in salt too, because that what a great job the stuff does at starting corrosion.

Gettting the Tape OFF

Sir
I'm sure you've tried this but I just finished what your doing right now. A heat-gun works really well to get the tape off. My wing ribs were covered with it. I used Goo-be gone and lacquer thinner to get rid of the the tape residue.
Ciao
Dodd

Thanks all for the inputs. You all have confirmed that I'm on the right track by getting rid of all the masking tape on the airplane. Only 2 more surfaces to uncover, then the rebuild begins!

jrussell...I'll bite. What's the "Hairy bum" test?

I hope to be flying again by fall of '04, and all the posts I see here help me in making decisions on what and what not to put on the airplane.

Again, thanks.

Bob

The HB Standard Explained

Bob:

I missed an alert and never followed up on your question....

I'm in the middle of rebuild. I've never rebuilt an airplane before. The standard I've applied to any issue that comes up about what is the correct thing to do (i.e. replace a part, rehab something, upgrade something, etc.) is to apply the "Hairy Bum" test--literally my ass is going in this thing so we better do this right.

For example, the ribs in the aircraft were very tired and largely poorly repaired from past mishaps. So we sacked them--all of them. They did not pass the MHB test.

The saying comes from Tom Wolfe's book The Right Stuff. In the book Gus Grissom goes to speak to a bunch of factory workers that are building critical components for his space capsule. When asked to speak to the works old Gus mounts the stage and, instead of the usual bullshit, says only "do good work", the unsaid message meaning my butt is going in this thing so don't screw up!! Gus was a guy of few words and knew when and how to make a point.

It is a great standard and has helped us make a lot of 50/50 decisions that much easier to make during the course of putting a shattered and neglected -11 back together. But when I'm done it will be a new, safe and efficient airplane that will provide years of service.

I will personally be placing my dear kiester into conform foam ala oregon aero (boy do they make great stuff) and my pax will also have the same treatment.

We've had to modify the standard to include MSB, i.e. my smooth butt, in recognition of the fact that it doesn't take a penis to fly an airplane and I am an advocate of gender equity in aviation.

So, that's the story. And I'm stickin to it.

jr...I appreciate the reply, and welcome to the "this is the first time I've had to rebuild my airplane" club. Me too, and hope it's my last time.

I finally got all that @#$%&%%#@ tape off. Even using MEK (I'm on my 2nd gallon now) it took a lot of scraping and elbow grease. Doing the last of the minor repairs needed on the left wing, then it's assemble my new Dakota Cub right wing, build out the fuse, cover, assemble, and paint.

In the meantime, I watch this board with envy hearing about the flyins and other adventures. My time will come!!

Blue skies.
Bob

Tape

Vinigar is also a good product to dissolve the paper part of the masking than whatever
solvent to get rid of the glue. Wayne

Flew to work about 20 minutes from home yesterday. Landed on the way down to throw a few more rocks off a beach strip for a friend to land his pacer on. Flew a bit further and landed next to the 7-eleven for a hot dog and a lemonade. Hopped back in for the next 5 minute leg to the airport and handled the paperwork that I flew down there to do in the first place. Flew back out over the fjord and landed in the middle of the tidal flats to photograph a surfer on a bore-tide. Flew over him at MCA to get an aerial shot. Back to Hood and tied down, then went home.

Today I'll go sight in a new rifle on some lonely beach. Then when long-term weather gets better will head out for some black tails in the Sound islands.

Eat 'cher heart out, Bob. Get out there and get your rebuild done. Then go fly your a-- off.

All in fun, this is for motivation, Bob.

By-the-way. Cloth tape from Poly-fiber is the way to go in my opinion.

DMC

Dave,
How'd you like the new 31 approach end? I also flew last night. I hope the man-made hill goes away.
SB

Ed,
I called the tiedown office to ask. I was told it will stay elevated through the winter, to allow it to settle, and will be leveled in May. I asked how many pilots had complained. The answer was "lots." Mine was the second call within 10 minutes. We should see some interesting tracks in the snow when the light gets flat.
SB

Big AK...you really know how to hurt a guy, but I apreciate the motivation.
Keep up the good flying stories. I love 'em and they keep me going.

Bob

Back