• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rachet frachet weather.

Torch

GONE WEST
Fairbanks, Alaska
I have been trying to fly back out to a local trout lake to do some fishing and the weather has been bad. Lots of wind. I can handle the wind flying but when I get to the lake it makes it hard to fish out of the small boat. Plus I use a flyrod. I made it out to the lake 3 days ago and the trout were mean. They were leaping in the air grabbing bugs off of the grass gowing along the edge of the lake. It was fun to watch the big trout leaping in the air killing bugs. I caught and release 13 fish. I did keep two about 16 inches long for lunch. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. I need to get some fishing in.

Torch

Torch said:
I have been trying to fly back out to a local trout lake to do some fishing and the weather has been bad. Lots of wind. I can handle the wind flying but when I get to the lake it makes it hard to fish out of the small boat. Plus I use a flyrod. I made it out to the lake 3 days ago and the trout were mean. They were leaping in the air grabbing bugs off of the grass gowing along the edge of the lake. It was fun to watch the big trout leaping in the air killing bugs. I caught and release 13 fish. I did keep two about 16 inches long for lunch. Hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow. I need to get some fishing in.

Torch

Torch...

Count your blessings... Here in "Lovely" Fresno, we just had our 17th straight day of 100+ (a couple of days were 107+) weather and the forecast for the next 7 days is more of the same... Ugh...

Tourch;

That kind of fishing talk really pisses me off. I'm here in SW Idaho and it's been hotter than heck. Up to 111 deg on Tuesday. I'm headed to the Mountains tomorrow and maybe I can catch a few fish.

I have lived here in Idaho all my life and compared to other areas in the lower 48 it is real nice. Sometimes I wish I had headed for Alaska when I was a younger man. Too hard to leave here now.

Don

Cuby and Don, Look on the bright side you guys could be here in "not so lovely " AZ....where it just rained for the first time in over 100 days! No complaints from me though...next week this time I'll be on my way to Torch's neck of the woods :D

Hey Torch, that was me off your left wing tip the other day. I just came off ski 1. You ever try a float tube out yonder? But in the wind you gotta have some flippers or you may be in for a long walk around. I hope the rain knocks out the Big Mud fire, that smoke is tuff. Next time I see ya , Ill dial up your favorite freq, if you have one. See Ya
jk

Atta boy Don D...........
I wuz gonna trash Torch but held off. Now that someone jumped in I'll do my part.
It's not polite Torch ( at least here in semi civilization ) to show cool pics of cubs on floats or tell cool stories of beautiful fish in the cool AK waters. All that tends to do is make the readers jealous and, as Don says "pissed off". The proper thing to do is invite the jealous and pissed to accompany you on these outings. At least then we could send some pics and stories to those we want to gloat over..... :preach

jk said:
Hey Torch, that was me off your left wing tip the other day. I just came off ski 1. You ever try a float tube out yonder? But in the wind you gotta have some flippers or you may be in for a long walk around. I hope the rain knocks out the Big Mud fire, that smoke is tuff. Next time I see ya , Ill dial up your favorite freq, if you have one. See Ya
jk

jk,

I will be on 123.4 next time. That smoke was tuff. Glad it was gone today. Haven't tried a float tube yet. There are some boats out there so I just use one of those.

cubdrvr said:
Atta boy Don D...........
I wuz gonna trash Torch but held off. Now that someone jumped in I'll do my part.
It's not polite Torch ( at least here in semi civilization ) to show cool pics of cubs on floats or tell cool stories of beautiful fish in the cool AK waters. All that tends to do is make the readers jealous and, as Don says "pissed off". The proper thing to do is invite the jealous and pissed to accompany you on these outings. At least then we could send some pics and stories to those we want to gloat over..... :preach

Hey, throw some floats on that Cub and come on up. The water is fine. The lake where I am fishing is small. Just big enough for me to get in and out of with myself in the Cub.

Update.

I made it out there this morning. The trout were mean. I caught about 10 very nice fish. Some over 20 inches. Released all of them unharmed. Here is a male I caught that was approx. 18 inches long. I took his pic because he was so colorful. I caught them on a huge black ant fly.

atrout.jpg

Don

Good grief Torch, what are you trying to do? Dilute your oil check? You're going to have Dave selling all and moving to Fairbanks. 8)

Brad

My week in aviation:

Monday: thunderstorm watches and tornado warnings, not a good day to fly.

Tuesday: thunderstorms and rain, not a good day to fly.

Wednesday: really squirrely winds, not a good day to fly.

Thursday: sunny, calm, beautiful, Pres. Bush comes to town and shuts down 19 airports + all VFR flight for the entire day, a great day to fly.

Friday: high gusty winds, not a good day to fly.

Saturday: high gusty winds, not a good day to fly.

Sunday: thunderstorms predicted, I might fly anyway.

Monday: leave for New Holstein, hope it's a good day to fly.

And this is just this week! :evil:

Anne.

California Weather: Sunny and HOT, to dang HOT

Most days this July have been 100 degrees plus and the ones that weren't, were in the high 90's. Getting very tired of this heat. Last night at 9:00 oclock it was 90 degrees.
Anyone know of an STC for an Air conditioner in a Super Cub??
Brian

Weather

Man, you folks must be all natural Alaskans, at least at heart. Seems like the thing we Alaskans do best is snivel about weather. Lest you think I critisize, I'm as bad as the next.

That said, the weather here has been more like Kodiak weather all weekend, if that makes any of you heat stroked folks feel better. Cool, really windy (for the Interior, at least) and pouring buckets much of the time. The ducks are walking today.

But that new grass I planted is getting a good soaking, so what the hey.

Mike V

Re: Weather

mvivion said:
Man, you folks must be all natural Alaskans, at least at heart. Seems like the thing we Alaskans do best is snivel about weather.

Well Mike, almost...

We didn't mention the hunting and fishing... :preach

Gunny,

Come on up. Plenty of fish.

Mike V,

Mike I have had to retie the cub on the floatpond twice this weekend because the water level is changing so fast. I hope it quits raining.

Torch

That Darn Weather

Gosh, in Maine we just wait a few minutes and the weather changes...

XP........that's a C-172 isn't it..........gee, see what you've got me doing now Cuby :lol:
Brian

supercub said:
XP........that's a C-172 isn't it..........gee, see what you've got me doing now Cuby :lol:
Brian

Let me draw you a picture... :morning:

Microsoft Windows XP...

Experimental (XP) Cuby...

Back