• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How many hours does everyone have?

How many hours of flight time did you log?

• more than 1500

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1000 - 1500

• 800 - 1000

• 200 - 400

• 400 - 600

• 600 - 800

• Total voters

swisscubpilot

Switzerland
Recently we had a discussion in a Swiss forum concerning the differences in flight experience on both sides of the Atlantic. My guess was that the Americans are way ahead of us. But I could not proof it.

Therefore I would like to do a poll. The question: How many hours of flight time did you log?

Thanks for taking part!

Hans

Good survey to do Hans.......I am also curious as to the hours of the cub pilots. I do think, however, that for many of the "old timers" the "1500 or more" category leaves a big gap.....unless you are talking about hours logged per year.

Dave's right, Hans.

I am just a baby pink newbie (1997) to flying and I have 1500 hours. I feel like in another 10,000 hours, I may know enough to be dangerous...

Not to say that I have not flown with 200 hour pilots that do a great job, it's just that experience is a very valuable teacher. The only problem with too much "good" experience is that it fosters complacency, and in my humble opinion, this is what kills otherwise excellent pilots.

In my 1500 I have had enough bad experiences to not yet become too complacent...

sj

.......so true Steve. I learned a good lesson in TX this spring. Thousands of hours over 35 years with no cub upsets.....that does breed complacency....and just when you think you must be invincible....Uh Oh !!

I recall an old saying "Good judgement comes from experience......and experience comes from bad judgement"

Soloed at thirty---just turned 48----somewhere over 7500. What a way of life. approx 5000 is cub time, maybe more, not quite sure on that one.

I got my license two weeks ago with about 50 hours...... now I have 80!...... cant wait to log some more time!

Hi guys

I must admit that I am most curious to find out how proportions would be at the lower end. Therefore I did not specify the poll over 1500h.

Reason for all of that: we discussed a statistic showing the rate of accidents in the US in relation to the total hours logged. Clearly shown was, that as more hours there are as less accidents occur.

Some argued now that this is only so, because far more pilots would have 200-400h than 800-1000h for example. This may be true probably in Switzerland but not in the States. I just have to proof it somehow.

Please keep voting!

Hans

Hours

The most dangerous times are 300,500, around 1000, again at 5000 and again at about 9000. Anybody still willing to learn no matter what hours should be safer.

Polling Super Cub pilots on times may not give the best overview of US pilots, I think most of us are going to fit that 1500 and over catagory. Cub pilots fly their planes more. There are exeptions, but the 172/Cherokee crowd usually fly less than 50 hrs per year, while the Cub folks are more often in the hundreds. A lot of pilots will BS about how much they fly, but the guy who annuals their plane and has to add up the time actually put of the airplane knows the truth....

Quality of time means something to. Drowning around with the autopilot on for lots of hours isn't the same as real stick and rudder stuff. Also staying current. If you are a high time pilot, but haven't flown for a while, be careful.

yeah Mark..........but don't forget those right seat/back seat hours they log.

Times

That would be airswitch time Steve, you blokes with the big wheels wouldn't activate an airswitch at your cruise speeds! although you could log a bit of extra time with the aircraft tied down in those Alaskian winter winds :D .

I quit detailing time at 11,000 hours, I have however kept a "flight log" of fuel stops tach time in the planes I have owned (Fuel management) I am the sole pilot of my cubs so total time is pretty easy, just look at the tach, I reconize that the tach-hour meter only runs accurately only at about 2000 rpm.

It is a definete truth that "recent time in type" and probably more important in a cub (what are the conditions that you fly in?)

My first and only major oops was after 5000+ hours in a SC, the contibuting cause was "lack of experience" in High density altitude mountain conditions.

I know a lot of great cub pilots with thousands of hours, that would not be competent in an Glass air and certainly visa versa.

Remember those Big tires are "draggy", and as my neighbor found out those "little 700's are dangerous" with "brake good brakes?

Fly often, 122hours in the last 30 days. We all should strive for precision at all times.

Tim

diggler said:
I to have quit logging every individual flight. I have gotton 3 letters of investigation over the years and everytime they want to see copies of your log books. I just make 1 entry every month with my total hours from the hobbs. That way in a investigation you can say I was flying and current but I dont recall the dates in question.

Here's one for you Diggler... Where does it say that you, a Part 91 pilot, have to log time?... I can see it if you're going for an additional rating or certificate... I track my time on a sheet in the Cub for maintenance and operational reasons, but I don't think that I need to copy (I know you like that word) it to an official log...

diggler said:
FAR 61.51 covers logbooks.

Yep and if I log 3 takeoff and landings within 90 days (to carry passengers), I don't fly night or instruments and I don't want any additional certificates or ratings, it appears to me that logging those 3 T&Ls with no other entries is all I need to do every 90 days... Or, if I don't want to carry passengers, burn the logbook... Part 61.51 and 61.57...

I believe that you have to log your time if you want to fly IFR (not I follow roads) or carry passengers as this appears to be required by

FAR 61.51 (a)(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part. (See 61.57)

and 61.51(b) further says

(b) Logbook entries. For the purposes of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, each person must enter the following information for each flight or lesson logged:

and then the reg goes on to explain how entries are to be made.

61.57 sets forth the recent experience requirements, but if you don't fly instruments, carry passengers or want any further ratings you probably don't need to log your time or in the alternative, if you do carry passengers or fly instruments, you probably could get by logging only that time required to meet the recent experience requirements.

djfraudman said:
I believe that you have to log your time if you want to fly IFR (not I follow roads) or carry passengers as this appears to be required by

FAR 61.51 (a)(2) The aeronautical experience required for meeting the recent flight experience requirements of this part. (See 61.57)

and 61.51(b) further says

(b) Logbook entries. For the purposes of meeting the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section, each person must enter the following information for each flight or lesson logged:

and then the reg goes on to explain how entries are to be made.

61.57 sets forth the recent experience requirements, but if you don't fly instruments, carry passengers or want any further ratings you probably don't need to log your time or in the alternative, if you do carry passengers or fly instruments, you probably could get by logging only that time required to meet the recent experience requirements.

I think that's what I just wrote... But somehow your's sounds so much more "LEGAL"... :crazyeyes:

As pointed out carrying passengers and IFR have their requirements BUT is there anywhere is says WHEN you have to log that time. I kinda plan to do that AFTER any investigation and if I "buy the farm" my wife has no idea where I keep my current logbooks.

Any FAA types that may happen to read this........please know that I am known as a compulsive liar. :roll:

Having had some dealings with the FAA, I would sugguest everybody keep a little bit of track. You can write your time and flights by your fuel log, or on your fuel receipt. I keep all my logbook in Excel, since I am still chasing ratings, I can in one click see how much time I have in any airplane I have flown. I can fill out one of those annoying 8710 forms in about 2 minutes because of it.

As long as you "attest" to it being legit, you can keep it any way you want. The proverbial "log book" I only use for endorsements (I do keep track of flights in it, but then I transfer them to the computer one a month or so).

Wanna make it Easy? Get a Garmin 196 and turn it on every time you fly. It will do it ALL for you. Keep track of landings, day and night, and cross country. It will even let you select different airplanes. They have a cool software (free) package that sucks it all of the GPS so you can look at it on your computer if you like. Can't beat it in my opinion, however, if you need an endorsement, you still gotta have some paper.

sj

I keep my biennials (CFI Renewals) and a 3TO&L Logged in a seperate book just for the feds although they've never asked. The rest can be used against you-- if they want to dig deep enough into every airplane I ever flew, I'm sure at least one had an AD due or something.

S2D said:
I keep my biennials (CFI Renewals) and a 3TO&L Logged in a seperate book just for the feds although they've never asked. The rest can be used against you-- if they want to dig deep enough into every airplane I ever flew, I'm sure at least one had an AD due or something.

I refuse to be paranoid, but I am careful... Medicals are easy to check, flight reviews are a little harder and anyone, at anytime, can pencil in the 3 T&Ls...

I agree with your observations, there probably isn't a 100% legal airplane on the ramp... One of the local FBOs did the first inspection on a new "Brand C" 206... 28 stripped nutplates that had to be replaced...

Ditto Steve on the 196 keeping track. great box. I quit logging in 98. Had all my flight sheets from work with T.O & LDGS, night, etc. last i saw it there were something like 14,500 hrs, not much point in counting now. Jeff

In addition to the legal requirements, I'm still keeping detailed logs to appease the bane of aircraft owners... the insurance man. I'll probably stop in another 1000 or two hours when they stop giving me additional discounts :morning:

When you fly for a living--and get paid by the hour, you'll log time religiously, including out and in times, for one simple reason: to make sure you don't get cheated on your pay. And if night, overseas, equipment, or a particular operation pays a premium, you keep track of that too (usually in a pocket-size log/expense book). Pay by milage is different: here the empasis is on distance, so the throttle markings are changed from open/closed to pay/nopay. Here, time is irrelevant so logkeeping is much less formal. Beginner pilots' watches seem to run a bit fast. Conversely, airplane owners' clocks always seem to run a little slow. Ownership has a mysterious effect on time warp to get more hours out of engines...and the warp shift seems to intensify as an engine nears its TBO. That's my humble observation after four decades or so (No, I don't have 30k hours...yet).

S.F.
Nick

Back