• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Basic Aerobatic Entry Speeds?

Junior

Edmonton AB
Good morning everyone, I became a supercub owner just over two years ago, and I am interested in doing more basic aeros with my cub. Does anyone out there know the speeds and inital "G" to enter, The Loop, Clover Leaf , and aileron roll? For example I use 120-130MPH and 2-3 "G" Pull into the vertical for a Hammer Head.
Thanks

Doesnt look like anybody wants to touch this one so I will. If you want to go upside down you should get a real aerobatic plane. I know a guy that can roll a Super Cub on take off ( ive seen it) but that doesnt make it a smart thing to do. I dont think you will get a answer because nobody wants to be responsible it you hurt your plane or yourself doing acro.

I have a lot of Acro time and if you need to ask then you don't need to be doing it. Your sppeds for the hammer head are quite high which also makes me question your sanity.

When I first started crop dusting a hundred years ago, an old timer told me... don't play with a work airplane and don't work with a play airplane. Whatever that means.

Hmmmmmmm....

A sage friend who used to instruct in Cubs said he just doesn't do acrobatics in older airplanes. Period. Seems like a good bit of advice. Especially with newer, more capable airplanes around. Save the Cub for a cross country tour and buy a new Super Decathalon if you want to do funky stuff with a taildragger. Your life insurance company will be very happy with you--not to mention friends and loved ones.

I have taken aerobatic lessons from a guy who owns a Decathlon and a SuperCub. He won't do much more than <1 turn spins in the SC. 130 mph entry speed required for rolls and loops is really fast for the SC wing.

Any aircraft you fly is probably capable of withstanding more stress than you can apply to the airframe, but WHY go looking for trouble? "Check out my sweet bent wing!"

Z

i watched an old timer do loops and rolls in a 90HP SC. the maneuvers were slow, but just about perfect. must be interesting to see a supercub do a roll on takeoff.

If you're going to do anything, the safest is to go in slow, then at least you'll fall out before you stress the airplane.
When I was young and dumb I remember blowing out the side window on a J-3 trying to do rolls -- DA. Glad I'm long past that.

Acro in a Super Cub.

Hi Junior:

I'm a recently new pilot, licensed two years ago. I bought a Cessna 150 Aerobat and took 15 hours of training with Stan Segalla in his Super Decathlon before trying it in my Aerobat. I've logged over 500 hours in the Aerobat in less than two years.

I agree with the other responses, don't do acro in a non acro plane. And to do a hammerhead in any aircraft with flaps is suicide. If it back slides, the flaps will be serverly dammaged or rip off, either will make for an exciting landing.

Just my thoughts.

Did my first loop in a j-3. got a real head of steam built up but forgot to pull the power off on the way back down ( hey by then I was just hanging on.) Realized it when I looked at the tach. Never knew a C-65 could wrap up that fast. Man how we lived thru those days I'll never know.
If you want to do something fun with your cub, it is certified for spins. take everything out of it then Go climb up to about 10,000. feet and see how many turns you can get out of it. 27 was the most I ever did in a J-3. Course with a 65 hp engine it just took too long to get to altitude.
I agree with j3jm-- thats why my airplanes are work airplanes now.

Keep in mind that when an airplane is certified, they usually go no more than 3 turns in a spin . So after that, you become a test pilot. It is possible for the aircraft to flatten out in an extend amount of turns. I figured that one out in an Aeronca Champ.

But then hell, we all like to do stupid crap when young and green so knock yourself out. :D

....after about 10 turns i get sick !

Basic Aerobatic Entry Speeds

I agree with the guys.... do aerobatics in an aerobatic airplane! If you mess up, it will not be your last time. :angel:
But why listen to me.... 1100 hrs in a Pitts and past member of the U.S. Aerobatic Team....and no, I'm not PW. :wink:

Aeros

An aerobatic aircraft is still no guarantee of longlife, how many Pitts and Decathlons have you seen bite the dust at airshows? I think proper training and knowing your limits (and how to control stupid attacks or rush of blood to the yahoo spot in the brain) is the key. :roll:

Back