• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Flap Rigging

RMREBOB

GONE WEST
Arlington, Texas
I'm having a problem rigging my flap return spring at the bellcrank in the wing root. I can't seem to keep it from both hitting the rib and dragging on the pushrod. I've checked and I have all the right parts according to the Piper Parts Manual. I didn't mount the bellcrank bracket it was already on the spar but there doesn't seem to be much leeway up and down because of the flap hinge bracket right under it. I'm going to post this and then try to post some pictures in case they might help someone visualize what I'm doing a very poor job of describing.[/url]

I think the bellcrank does that in all cubs. When I was on the Texas Cavalcade I had a guy tell me that I was missing the 2 little aluminum stop plates the the bellcrank is supposed to rest on. I didn't even know they were supposed to be there. I ended up glueing on a couple rubber stops.

Just browsing and saw this old post. I later found the problem. The "U" shaped attach bracket that mounts the bellcrank has a slight angle built into it. If you don't look at it carefully you might not notice it. The last guy that assembled my wings didn't and mounted it upside down. Reversed it and, although there is still not a great deal of clearance at least it doesn't drag.

Back