• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Nicopress Dimensions

behindpropellers

NE Ohio
Can anybody point me in the right direction to find the diameter of a compressed nicopress after it has been sqeezed? Specifically 1/8" cable.

Tim

I just looked in the "Standard Aircraft Handbook" and they give no diameter. They say you must use the manufacturers "go-no-go" gauge. They do give the squeeze sequence(center first then the end, they the inside one).

Tim
This is one of those ?slippery slope? type of questions that a lot of guys don?t want to comment on (and understandably so) until you sign a ?release of liability? form.

Might I suggest that you take a look at this link. It?s AC43.13-1b. Chapter 7 talks about cables. Once you click on the chapter 7 icon, give it some time to download, it's a big document.

http://www2.airweb.faa.gov/Regulato...86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument&Highlight=43.13

And then take a look at this link. It?s just one of many suppliers that offer the correct gauge for the task.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/gonogo.php

Happy swedging

T.J. Hinkle said:
Yep: Gerald is correct. Until corrected, I don't think there is a published dimension for Nicopress sleeves. If you are concerned that the sleeves are not being compressed enough, you must use the "Go-No, Go Gauge". Spruce sells them for $8. I have never seen one and don't know of anyone who has one. Why do you need to check the dimensions? Do you think the tools is wore out? I suppose as extra insurence, $8 is cheap.
Heck, just go ahead and buy it, then when I need one, I can borrow it!

Most good squeezers have an adjustment for how far they will squeeze and once set never usually need an adjustment. The problem comes when you lend it to someone and they fart around with it!! :( I have a set of go gauges for the 4 or 5 popular sizes and I will go out to the shop and measure them and post the dimensions shortly.

Cheers,
Wayne

The following are the approximate dimensions of the "go" gauges for Nico pressing (the ones I have anyhow!). Remember you want a diameter SMALLER than this number if your squeezes are good. (Larger if you have screwed up and they are not good!)

1/16" Nico - 0.1885"
3/32" Nico - 0.2510"
1/8" Nico - 0.3400"
5/32" Nico - 0.3740
3/16" Nico - 0.4755"

Happy squeezing!
Wayne

Back