• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Slotted wings

Lug

Anchorage, AK
There was a thread that included info on slotted wings. Unfortunately with my dino 'puter and dial up I cannot access threads over about 20 posts, and cannot access the thread I need. Who on the board have played with exp. slotted wings?
Lug

Slated wings

Lug,
I have posted quite a bit on the slatted wngs on cubs and such. It was in the stol
device on cubs . The slats that I have worked with were all experimental. I think
they are the only way to go if you are into the slow speed thing. Be glad to talk to
someone with the same interest. Here or on the phone. I'm not to far away, Miles
City. Wayne

Thanks all,
Gunny,
I'll give the search option a try. It is very annoying though when a topic is really going and all of a sudden I no longer can access it. :-?
Wayne,
My remember must be working good because I thought you were the person I wanted to bother on this subject. I'll be dropping you a pm sometime this weekend, and bug you about how you design and install the slats. Maybe sometime this summer I can make it down to your shop. Things have been busy since Alec joined the family on the 24th of May.
Lug

Slats

T.J.,
Glad to hear you are building an exper. cub and thinking about the slats. For fun
flying I think it is the only way to go. The ones I build are attached to the front of
the wing with what looks aileron hangers poking through the leading edge. A little
stonger in form though. The slat pivets on the hanger to let it weather vain into the
open mode for slow flight and then lie down in cruise. Need the movement to get
the most in both possisions. It does not retract. The shape has changed from the
first ones to improve the cruise. With this slat you are increasing the wing area so
there is also a advantage here. The wing area is being moved forward on the spars
putting more on the main spar. For this reason I beef up the front spar. Much like
some of the 2000 gross mods. The last ones made are only loosing 3 to 4 mph.
in cruise. The slow end will very with what other wing mods you have and of
corse weight. the last three planes all can be held in the air at 17 mph. or less.
The slats are a total skin structure no spar, only ribs. .016 skin/ .020 ribs. Wayne

slats

Another thought about slats, slots, flaps, or whatever stol devise. It seems that to me
to much is being put into the absolute slowest posible flight. Or the shortest take off.
Don't get me wrong I am totally into short on and off the ground. But I think it is more
important what can be done safely maneuvering just before touch down or after you
Jump off the ground. This is where the slats or slots really shine MANEUVERING at
very slow speeds with relitive safety. With anything you can push it to far. Takeoff
is a power to weight thing to a large part and it is hard to do to much better than a
good cub with the same power as far as getting off the ground but as soon as you
are in the air there is no comparison in maneuveribilty. And landing is better in all
ways in my experience. Very few peaple where ever hurt while charging along on
the ground. They get hurt while maneuvering at low altitude inslow flight. I beleave the
safety gain in this aspect is the best part. I fly for fun and to hunt and fish. Wayne

Safety

Bravo Wayne! Safety is our number one priority, nothing is more important! But right up there next to number one, is to have fun, and flying slow close to the ground is really fun. If we are coordinated while we are slow and close to the ground we will be safe. If we are ruddering around a turn, or trying to hold the nose up with the rudder while slow and close to the ground we are not being safe, and all the vortex generators, cuffs, or slots in the world will not prevent us from killing ourselves. I like to do these demonstrations of stupidity at altitude where we can show ourselves how ignorant we have to be to auger. Even with the stock wing if we are one with the A/C and are coordinated we will recover in mere inches by releasing a little back pressure, and flying out. If we accelarate the stall cross controlled it will be a very violent maneuver impossible to recover from when close to the ground. The VG allows us to be more stupid and recover more quickly from our ignorance. I am convinced that the slotted wing is the next generation of STOL safety device. Mark Erickson was kind enough to allow Bill Smith and myself to wring out his Quad Cub. We did a bunch of slow flight touch and gos, then went to altitude and tried to get it to break. At a 45 degree deck angle showing 20 mph the ailerons were light as a feather, then throwing the plane from a left 45 to a right 45 and back with everything we had all we could manage was to shake the tail. With the confidence we built at altitude we were able to play helicopter in a little wind on an uphill grass strip. What fun! Let's all have more fun and fly safely.mb

Mike B.

Great to see you having fun and not just being the "salesman". I am with Wayne, Jerry and others, it is still a matter of Hp, Weight, and most importantly Pilot Profiencency! Having worked with Slats and most other STOL add on's I am with you they make no nevermind if one doesn't understand both there limitations as well as the aerodynamic affect on "what you got".

I have a flying buddy that can fly rings around 99% of any "modified" cub of any horsepower that I have seen, by being light and "one with the plane", precise, and always in control!

I can't wait to start on another 'Experimental' project, to take best advantage of both light weight and Engineering advances of the modern times!

Have fun, be safe, and keep tinkering!

Tim

Hi Tim! I'm with you! Proficiency is very important. I have had the dirty job of sitting the back and helping pilots become proficient in some of the best Cubs in the world. It is a dirty job, but... And you are right all the do dahs in the world can hardly improve on a lightly loaded Cub in the cool of the morning. But put the stock wing on an amphib, and you have a real pig. We need every bit of lifting surface we can muster and all the HP we can develop. Am really looking forward to experiencing the slotted wing on floats. Coffee pot is alway on, y'all come.mb

MB,

Will do, perhaps on the way back from Alaska? Have a great summer, ans stay out of the heat!

Don't get me wrong, on them hot days 200hp hoped up 0320 would be the ticket! (my next project will likely have one, for that reason) Those High mountain strips get awfully short, even by 10am

Tim

PS: have you flown the extended wing, long flap square tipped Dakota wing yet?

Slow flight

I would like to hear some thoughts about the way you fly a slotted or slatted wing
plane in the super slow mode. My first one took me about 100 hrs. to gett it all
together. I worked at a safe altitude until i learned to get the most out of it. You don't
fly it in the normal manner to get the optimon performance. It is very much a rudder
game and you do cross control. Sorry! I know that is bad but it is the way it is.
I am not the only one that does this so would like some input with experance.
When hanging on the prop in a very slow turn the inside wing is taking a shorter
ride and dosn't produce as much lift. As the turn progresses you end up with full
opposit aileron and ruddering around the corner like a boat halfway on step. That
is only one differance. Input please. Wayne

Proficiency and recent practice are key, yeah boy. I once bought half of an old straight tail 172. The seller delivered it and before he hopped a bus home, he offered some familiarization. During the last 100 feet, his hand went from the manual flaps to the throttle about six times. We were so far behind I thought we had fallen off the edge of the earth. If a passing pheasant had farted I wouldn't be here today. We landed smooth, rolled a 100 feet. I don't recall alot of brakes. We watched this soft spoken 60-ish guy in the old cotton coveralls board the bus. Kinda re-calibrated my opinion of myself and my souped up airplane. Don

Back