• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

X-Country Flying in a J-3 /PA-11.

Jerry Burr

Sedro Woolley, Washington.
There are those that say that all J-3?s should stay stocker than thou and never leave the traffic pattern. I say phooey. I would like to address anyone who wants to travel in their 3/11 and those who are building lite Cubs, starting with -3 parts. I will address the latter first, you non-experimental folks please stay with me. I have been following some of the posts lately and this is what I see. First thing is SC landing gear. Why? It just adds a lot of weight . And which would you rather do. Bolt on a new gear Vee and fix your wing tip and go flying, or put it in a jig to re-weld the gear fittings into the clusters, fix your wing tip and then go flying? Then the SC upper deck. Cut off some alum. and weld on some steel tube. To get some room over your head that you can?t use unless you add a taller heavier SC seat. The dash is still going to hit your knees at the same place no matter how high you sit. And then the Alum. headliner. What are you ever going to haul that is going to kick it?s way out the roof? Alum. sides on the baggage compartment, same question. Extended SC style baggage compartment. If you get a contract to haul feathers, the extra room may be useful. With all this stuff you will have an underpowered SC (dog) or a overweight J-3 (dog).
O.K. you J-3/PA-11 guys, thanks for waiting. You don?t need a 337 or a heavy plastic box that you have to carry around for the rest of your life, just a wife that can sew and some blue denim.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/rr.jpg
I will go by item numbers. #1 bag goes under the rear seat on the door side. If you go to Alaska or Canada you have to carry survival food. Using plastic quart peanut butter jars and food tabs, this bag will carry three weeks of calories for two people. Seal the zipper shut with thread and date the tag. #2 goes under the opposite side of the rear seat. Unless you are carrying two people and are going north. Then this bag is left out and replaced with #7 the tie down kit and #17 two sets extra tie down ropes and the 2.5lb axe. (not shown) and usually window cleaner. I have a 21? wide 16?deep 20? long baggage compartment. It is made of medium duck. The same as the original baggage box. It will hold anything that I can legally carry. Bag #5 and it?s twin. (not shown, I didn?t have enough coats to fill it for the picture) are the clothes bags. They are sewn to fit cross ways one on top of the other behind the rear seat. #6 is the food bag. It has the stove, steamer, dishes, freeze dried food. All of the food is in this bag. It sits on top of the clothes bags. (don?t want to smash the apples). #8 is the tool bag. It goes on the bottom rear of the baggage. Along with two #15?s.(quarts of oil). #10 is my feather pillow if I am traveling solo. If not I carry a pillow case and stuff my coat into it. Works fine. #16 is 14 gals of gas if I am solo. (good for 3 hrs). #11 is two sleeping bags and mats. I carry both, solo or not. They are lite bags and I stuff one inside the other is the temp is expected to be below 0deg. If you are in Mexico or a very hot place, I stack both mats and both bags in one pile. If you sleep on the top of the pile it kills most off the heat coming from the ground. #12 is a spare blanket. #13 is a reflective dash cover, it goes up the spar tubes and protects the cockpit also. #14 is tent and poles. Get a tent that has poles that come together to form a V not that cross and make an X. The X type will beat you to death in a high wind. I don?t have but can get a picture. #3 is the fuel funnel. I tuck it up under the dash. Under the front seat is usually oil rags and spare shoes. A couple of other handy items. One is several pee bags. Double a quart ziplock. (always double it) Yes your wife can use this also. But I understand it?s tricky. They never need it in good weather. The most important item in the airplane is a spitzer bottle. (spray bottle to you guys). Keep it full of clean water. At the end of a 6 hour leg in hot weather is the worst time to try and land in unfamiliar country. A couple of squirts in the face and chest and you are wide awake and ready to tackle anything. You can also take a spitzer (sponge ) bath in your tent in the evening. It?s also handy to dampen your hair in the morning before combing. ( I am finding this option to become less and less useful.) You can also use it to soften bugs on the windscreen, and drink from it if your water bottle becomes empty. And use it to clean all the leading edges at the airshow.
These are the underseat storage bags.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/hi.jpg
This is the survival kit. It contains at least. 1st aid kit, Compass, Flares in sealed container, Two mosquito headnets, Candle lantern, Color sheet (orange), Flexible band saw, Pocket knife, Lighters, Matches in waterproof container, Bullets (super heavy duty prescribed pain pills), Signal mirror, 2 boxes of waterproof matches, 3 Triangular bandages, 2 18by36 Compress, Whistle, 2 Space blankets, Mosquito dope, Gloves, Spare candles, String, Snare wire (30inches), Roll 88 electrical tape, Fire starter, 5 Leather thongs, Fruit juice capsules, Curved needle and cord, Sutures and thread. Just pull the 4 red Velcro tabs and it drops in your lap, or you pick it up depending on your orientation. And out you go. Notice the yellow life vest and the two pee bags stuck in the spar.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/jj.jpg
This is my cargo plate if I have no passengers.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/kk.jpg
The same plate with 14 gals of gas.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/ll.jpg
This is everything that was laying on the ground. There is a lot of empty space. It always gets taken. Tripods, video cameras, you know the stuff.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/nn.jpg
The same with no pax. A lot more space this way plus the room on the floor. This space is usually taken by boxes that just fit between the wall and the control column.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/mm.jpg
This is a box that covers the SC elevator pulley. (it?s liter than the J-3 setup) It usually holds the cameras.
http://www.supercub.org/upload/burr/ss.jpg
The intercom is also shown here. I have two seat bottoms. One has the intercom, battery, and jacks, and the other is bare. One bolt changes them when the intercom is not needed.
I have camped for up to 3 weeks with this gear, from the Bahamas to the southern tip of Old Mexico. Numerous trips to Alaska and several to New York. And everywhere in-between, in what I consider complete comfort. Oh- Yea, 21 or 22 trips to California. These ideas have evolved over 29 years of X-country travel in a J-3. I hope someone can use something out of this. This world is just as beautiful at 75-80 or 100 mph. Just go ahead and do it! Jerry.

flying cross-country in a J3/PA-11

jerry; your forgetting the one thing that you should have to eliminate 2/3 of your list, buddies, if you ever come east across north dakota on US#2 theres a hanger, place to sleep, and a piece of the best prime rib in the USA. just think of the weight that would save? we all dont really need any more but they sure come in handy once in awhile.

Great information, Jerry. You really know how to pack and have given me plenty of new ideas for packing my PA-11. John

Jerry,

Forgot to ask what do bags #4 and #9 contain and what's your total baggage usually weigh? Thanks. John

Answers

Hi John. I guess I overlooked #4. If I use that one depends on the time of year and direction of flight. It has a velcro bottom and holds a folded wool survival blanket, wool hat and gloves. It weighs 3lb10oz. And it replaces the rear seat bottom seat cushion. #9 is the overhead survival pack and weighs 4lb11oz. It's the third one on the list or jj. The baggage weight is a tricky question, because it changes with the trip. The W&B says 30lbs with the Airstreaks and 40lbs with the 25/11/4. On some occasions it may run a tad more than that. :lol: Jerry.

Off we go...

Jerry:

That is impressive...made me rethink a bit about where I put some things in the 3. A year and a half from now I plan to celebrate my 40th by flying coast to coast in my 11 and your list will come in handy.

JP

JRussel,

Did you fly coast to coast? It has been a year....

Jerry, this is a great post, and needs to be revived!

And why am I looking at J3 posts??? 8)

sj

steve said:
JRussel,

Did you fly coast to coast? It has been a year....

Jerry, this is a great post, and needs to be revived!

And why am I looking at J3 posts??? 8)

sj

.....Because J-3s are darn addictive and a delight to fly.

The Coast to Coast trip got postponed due to a family member illness that required hospitalization. I actually sold the J-3 but retain an interest and may even buy it back someday. Fortunately I sold it to a really good friend and it has an awesome home and gets flown daily.

Still, 40 looms weeks away and I'm determined to do a major trip.

My -11 is essentially done and waiting inspection (after Greenville). My plan is to do a flight sometime in the new year in conjunction with the launch of my Next Venture (which you are gonna love.....details TBA in about 6 weeks). I will come to KC to visit and fly.

Cubs. Gotta love 'em.

JP

You are welcome any time, interested in hearing about the next venture!

sj

storage

Hi Jerry, Thanks for all the good ideas, Keep them coming. I have been wanting to come up and see you and get ideas for my SuperCub rebuild as well. Should have it in about two weeks. Its so easy to add alot of stuff on these planes that you can really do without. Im still looking for a motor and need to talk with you about that for ideas on size ect. My plane is a 1953 105 special that was used by the Civil Air Patrol and never left California. Im looking forward to rebuilding it. Thanks again.

Bill Ingerson
aa.fueler@verizon.net
Cubless in Seattle

Hi Jerry. Thanks Steve for reviving this thread. Its a great one I had forgotten about and its timely because after the trip to BC over the holiday weekend I need to rethink and repack my survival gear set up. Too bulky, heavy and too much equipment redundancy. Really timely to see Jerry's suggestions again. Good stuff.

Jerry Burr said:
Then the SC upper deck. Cut off some alum. and weld on some steel tube. To get some room over your head that you can?t use unless you add a taller heavier SC seat.

Jerry,

One word - VISIBILITY! The Super Cub superstructure, which moves the front spar attach to the outer edge of the windshield (instead of over your head in the middle of the airplane) opens up the entire upper part of the cockpit for better visibility from both seats. You're right about the headroom, as unless you're pretty tall it won't make much difference. But the visibility is incredible when compared to the J3 or PA-11. (Of course, to take full advantage of this a full skylight is needed as well.)

Joe

Vis.

Hi Joe. I hear what you say. The only time that I have seen the value of a top window is chasing animals on the deck. You simply need one to see where you are going. If I were to do that as a business I would probably leave the fabric off the top sides of the fuselage in the gas tank gage area and use plex wing fairings to take full advantage. As it is I have a removable shade on the top of my front windshield, and no top window. In the summer I usually climb in the back seat while enroute to get out of the sun. I'm from Washington. 8) Jerry.

I spotted a King Air, Seminole, and a bunch of spam cans today via the skylight sitting in the back with student today...

Lots to see

Hi Steve. I guess that was my point. If you can see them out the top. They are usually not going to be a conflict. If they are coming from anywhere behind, you are toast. Even if the pilot is sitting backwards and looking out the top, he is only going to see the ones that will miss you. Like everyone else, you always lift a wing before you make a turn, so there is no real advantage there. Assuming you make less than 30 degree turns in the pattern. Top windows are great and I'm glad that almost everyone has one. But I would never count on one to save my life. That's one reason I like the big tires. It's the only thing people can see of me from behind. :roll:

True, Jerry!

Nothing makes me more nervous than a tower calling traffic that is close and behind me. Makes me want to turn off the radio... 8)

sj

I love my tower, but lately they have been requesting that I join the final approach at the outer marker. I have been climbing to a thousand feet above the GS intercept altitude, but from now on they will have to guess that I did that. I cannot imagine anything more dangerous than a J-3 on a five mile final at one of the world's busiest general aviation airports.
Rod Machado says that 83% of midairs at controlled airports are a faster aircraft overtaking a slower one.
Stay off those centerlines!

Back