• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What do I look for when shopping for a J3 Cub?

Bret

Everett, WA
I am looking into buying a J3 and would like some advice on what options or mods to look for.

Wood or metal spar?
Wood or metal prop?
Wing tanks?
Engine hp?

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Bret

Depends on what you want to do with it.

:preach
My .02??? Pre-war Cub. Wood spar obviously. Franklin 65hp, smoothest engine ever put into a J-3. No wing tanks, no need, this isn't a x-country machine, fuel gauge in the gas cap. No electric. Altimeter, ASI, Oil Temp, Oil Press. and Compass. Ohhh yeah.....and a roll of TP in the baggage. If you want something to putz around in this is perfect. If you want something to fly point A to B, get a Supercub :D

I only intend to use the J3 for local flying while I learn how to fly a taildragger.

After I build some equity or save some money, I will buy a Super Cub.

I just want to know what to look for so I don't have to do too many mods or upgrades.

Hi Bret,

You've picked a good design to learn in! The J-3 in my avatar is the Cub I learned to fly in, and I'm a better stick for it. My .02 cents aside ;-), best thing to do is keep it light, simple, and stock. The only change I might consider would be upgrading to an 85 or 90hp engine to give you a little more lifting power.

Info on buying a cub...

Brett,
I have owned three of them.....and I am looking for my fourth one. Give me a call and I will be glad to give you some info. Good Luck....you can't go wrong with a cub.... :)
Jan 952-361-9787 home, 952-448-2217 work :p

Back