• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

In Love, Again

Anne

SE Michigan
I'm finally back in the air again - it feels sooo good! After my little scare last fall that sent me into a tizzy, and then the awful weather this winter and early spring, I didn't think I would get to fly again.

I finally found a tailwheel instructor on the field that had his own insurance (otherwise it would cost me extra on my insurance), and we've gone up twice, with more time scheduled. You'll be happy to know I am finally learning wheel landings, after the bashing I took from all of you because I didn't know how.

My instructor laughed at me when we got back to my hangar, put the plane away, and I did a little dance and yelled a war whoop! I'm in love with my plane, all over again! Whoopee!

Anne. :D

Anne
I know how you feel. I haven?t flown since January. I finally got all (well?most all) of my repairs finished and put almost 4 hours on her this weekend. Bad weather, hectic schedule, lots of things to fix, etc-etc have all conspired to keep me grounded. Feels good to be back in the saddle again.

I?ll bet that you end up liking wheels better than 3pt. For me...they?re easier. :D

Anne,

Congrats. I know how you feel. It has been four years since I have been able to fly a float plane. Just got a set for the cub and have her in the water and flying this week. It is hard to wipe that big :p off of our face isn't it?

Torch/Don

Anne,

That is great, I'm glad you found another instructor.

For anyone who thinks any different, there is nothing more satifying to a person providing flight instruction than to see their student be successful. I cannot describe the pleasure of watching a student solo, or watching a post-checkride student light off for thier own adventure chasing their own dreams. It strikes a place in the heart that you don't get in your own flying, but it reminds you of a time gone by, and rekindles your own dreams.

We all have to keep passing on the passion, and sharing the joy, to keep GA alive. I can tell you from many personal experiences that giving a guy who has 1500 hours instructing in a 172 a few lessons or rides in a super cub is like giving him some kind of happiness injection. The smile lasts for weeks, not just for him, but for me too.....

sj

:D :D :D :angel: :angel: :angel: :D :D :D :angel: :angel: :angel: :D :D :D :angel: :angel: :angel: :D :D :D

New tires, too, 800 x 6 x 4ply, Airtracs - I really like them. I don't have to s-turn on taxiing any more, and they don't bounce as much as the 26 inchers. The new antenna works great. The Oregon Aero seats are soooo comfortable. The annual didn't find anything major, just little nitpicky stuff that was easily fixed. Wash & wax this weekend, if it doesn't rain. We're ready!!!

Flying smiles sure are infectious, aren't they?

Anne.

The wheel landings aren't going so great, and neither are the 3-pointers. It's tough getting back into proficiency once you've fallen out of it.

Aside from that, I flew with the doors wide open for the first time yesterday. What a blast! Not too many planes out there that are this much fun!

Anne. :D

Anne

Along time ago, on a planet far far away, I was coming back from a looong lay off from flying (5+ years) and just could not get the landings right. I had told my instructor ?that all I needed was to pull off one good landing, and then I?d remember [that] look and the touch to do it right?.

After about an hour of muffed landings, (and as I pulled off of the active), I informed him that we were going to take a break. He was pretty pissed because he didn?t understand what I was talking about.

After about a 20 minute break, (which gave me time to digest the fact that I was over controlling) we went back up and I greased the next landing and every other one that day. I got the touch back!

Take it a piece at a time!. Don?t push yourself!!. Remind yourself that this stuff is supposed to be fun!!!

Remember that with the wheels landing, the tires will ?squeak? just as you start into the flair. It?s a height thing. My hangar neighbor (who flies a Waco) said it best when he said ?I?m still having trouble finding the ground?

I guarantee that you?ll like wheels better then 3 point.

You go girl!

You?ve got one up on me, I?ve yet to fly with the door open, I?m jealous!! But summer time is coming. :D

Whats there Not to love?

Trying my hand at posting pics again (I have read the tutorial carefully Steve....so here goes)
Some of you may remember that I posted some pics of a full size SuperCub and a couple of RC "Babies" last year, well here's what our guys managed to get into the Autumn sunshine this year, pretty good hey!! Who can spot the Cub on floats?

Felicity

cde.thumb.jpg

Click Link Below For the BIG Picture
http://www.supercub.org/albums/Supercubs/cde.jpg

Re: Whats there Not to love?

CubCrazy said:
Trying my hand at posting pics again Who can spot the Cub on floats?
Felicity

Sorry, I can't...

ah ha!!! :lol: ...when in doubt read the instructions - edited and fixed and ... now can you spot the Cub on floats?

(for those of you who missed my previous - unedited version ... there was just a big red X

Felicity

Looking at that picture I'd say someone has a major Supercub ADDICTION!!!!!!! :lol:

Got it! I finally got to the point where I can do both 3-points and wheel landings without screwing up either kind. We went over to a friend's grass strip - I'm much more relaxed landing on grass. By the time we were ready to go home to pavement, I'd gotten the "picture" and landed just fine on the pavement.

OOOHHH - It feels sooo good! :D

Anne.

Felicity - do you build from models or from plans? Those little guys look great! You need to paint one just like the big one!

I just replaced the 26" Goodyears with 800's. I can at least see around the cowl now, but checking fuel is more of a stretch.

Anne.

Back