• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What sort of repair/tool kit do you carry?

AKCub

Anchorage, Alaska
During the annual this year I decided to review the contents of the toolkit I carry when I fly to see if there was anything extra or missing. I try to carry the minimum amount possible but do not want to find out too late I left the one bit I needed at home when I am on a sand bar someplace.
What do the rest of you carry as far as tools, repair materials, and spares?
Thanks
Scott

I carry what I would consider standard tools. The only problem I have had in the bush where I needed parts was an exhaust stud. If it requires
major work I am not going to be able to fix it.

Torch/Don

Open end wrenches from 5/16 thru 3/4. Crescent wrench. Vice grips. Channel lock pliers. Needle nose pliers. Safety wire pliers. Asst screwdrivers. Duct tape. Safety wire. Zip ties. Tire patch kit. Tire pump. Leatherman super tool, mostly for the file. Flashlight. I've used it all, and can't think of anything I ever wished I'd had and didn't, except more hands a time or two.
SB

I pretty much agree with Stewartb but in addition a few misc screws,nuts and bolts...(you will still never quite have what you need but should be able to get the job done with some imagination!!!)

But keep it light as you dont want it too heavy....

Wiseman.

Hey Clay! I keep reading the message on your post. I think we must have talked to different wisemen. The one I talked to said ( To make houses bigger, just keep pulling back on the stick ). :) Jerry.

Actually, a student of mine just gave me the ultimate tool kit complete with carrying case. It looks like this:

jesus.jpg

It also doubles as a fuel strainer, and it glows in the dark if you lose your alternator.

Hmm, sounds like a thunderstorm here, better shut off the computer...

sj

Mine is a lot the same as every one else's. 1/8 steel cable and a few clamps for gear and tube fix ups, brake fluid, hose clamps, tire patch kit and air pump, enough tools (socket & ratchet kit) to remove and break down a tire, 2 spark plugs, Scrade multi tool, hack saw, hatchet, knife, duct tape, cell phone and antenna extension, steel epoxy, moisture proof matches, TP, GPS, Compass, survey flagging, first aid kit, 550 cord, adjustable wrench, quick drain plugs, flashlight.

Seasonally, bug dope, extra clothing, stove, sleeping bags, tent, tarp, water, 44 magnum,

Believe it or not, all this fits in my built in tool box which is about the size of a shoe box. The sleeping bags & tent are my seat cushion and the 44 hangs on my side.

None of this compairs to Steve's ultimate tool kit.

Take a good look at your cub and take the tools necessary to take anything apart or put back together. I shortened up a 7/8" wrench for plugs, I also carry about 8' of .032, needle nosed vice grips (see my pictures of repairs made a month or so ago) also in my kit are a half dozen "4" skyblazer aerial flares, and survival signal smoke--these have personally helped me on an occasion where a bear punctured my "tundra tires" on the Talkeetna river--campfire story-- for those that are going to Alaska with me in a month!!

I will lay out my tool kit that fits in a nylon 'shaving kit' and photo it if anyone is interested.

(if in doubt throw in an extra roll of TP and duct tape!! and a small bottle of CR won't take up much space either!

Tim

Back