• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Restoring rare cub. To modify or not? Need input

cubpilot2

SPONSOR
Anchorage Alaska
I have just become the owner of a "rare" cub. This aircraft is a 1958 PA-18A with only 248 hours total time since new. It has had one owner sinse 1959, who held onto it until his death. It has some minor mods done to it for Alaskan use. This aircraft is to be an investment and am trying to decide if the best value is to restore it to its original configuration giving the low total time or to apply the typical Alaskan mods. Are PA-18s becoming collector items in the original configuration such as the J-3s. I am Cub fanatic as this is my twenty second to own in the last 29 years, of which most have been extensively modified. Looking for input as to the most valuable configuration.

I've only owned three cubs in the same years you owned all yours, so you have more experience, but if you're looking for opinions...
Even nicely restored J-3's don't sell for close to what a good solid 18 with some useful mods. Seems like there is far more demand for supercubs that are rebuilt with mods and the idea of using them than rebuilding to factory specs. Just my opinion.

Modified Cubs are safer Cubs...!!

Unless you plan to win at Oshkosh, fix the faults. The smart buyers will know the difference. I wouldn't even consider buying a high dollar stock Cub.... would just have to tear it up and fix it.

If you've had 22 Cubs, you're should have a good idea of the cost/value of different mods. I'd think your budget will be the big factor. Do only what restoration and improvements that you can afford to do perfectly. That's worth something. A plane with lots of mods that are done with average workmanship isn't worth as much as a perfect stock plane. Guys that spend big money on planes aren't the same guys that land in the alders to get to a fish. Working planes sell faster, show pieces sell for more. Analyze your market and build to suit.
SB

I think that a great deal of it has to do with your plans for the future... With the high turnover of Cubs, I'm guessing this isn't likely a long time "keeper"... Face it, the airplane's a virgin and you could screw it together to be "the airplane" and keep it for a long time, but if you're just going to sell it, do the "not-too-obvious" safety mods and sell it as a pristine, virgin, stocker... Just my $.02...

I don't think there's a big collector "following" for Ag model Cubs. Not like the J-3 or PA-11 cult. I'd do the sensible mods and fly the heck out of it. Sounds like you never grow too attached to any one plane anyway. The Cub I'm rebuilding now I would have been money ahead to sell it as a flying Cub and buy something close to what I am building up but I had too many good times in it to let it go. Even though all that is left of the original plane is the pilot's seat frame, a few control parts and misc. other parts. Take care. Crash

Is it possible for a original Super Cub to be worth more? I doubt it, they are all expensive enough already. If old A model Super Cubs start to be seen by some as "rare collectibles", God help us all. If you didn't pay to much for it in the first place, and rebuild it right, it should retain the value of whatever you put in it.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for Lots of good feedback. Figured it was worth asking about as it is rare to find such an older cub with so few hours. Yes I have owned many cubs in the past as it was a business thing and they were mechandise at that time but for the last 12 years I have flown the same cub and am very happy with it. We bought this one as an investment and will not be rushing to sell it. I have personal attachment to all of the Cubs that we have owned. I can remember the N numbers of most and have trouble remembering birthdays and aniversaries etc. (according to my wife) It will most likely be restored with the most desirable Alaskan mods and kept on wheels. My other Cub can then stay on floats which is also an A model which I actually prefer due to many reasons. (thats another story).

Back