• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Who's best for recovering?

Joe Wood

FRIEND
Amarillo, Texas
I'm probably not more than 4 or 5 years from a recover. What commercial operation seems to do a very good job of recovering and all that goes along with it? Will probably cover with Stitts.

Recover

First you decide which process you want to use. Then how you are going to use the airplane. (show or work). Then how much you are wanting to spend. Then find someone to do it within that parameter. Not the other way around. Jerry. :)

Joe Wood said:
I'm probably not more than 4 or 5 years from a recover. What commercial operation seems to do a very good job of recovering and all that goes along with it? Will probably cover with Stitts.
An expert would should answer this one but please let me respond. From what I've read dope still remains the easiest to repair if your going to fly in the rough. My 94 has an airtex finish from the factory and is very nice,but i wonder how I'm going to repair it when the time comes ( and make it look good) good luck. Call dakota cub and some of the other rehab places for recommendations, Also depends on the location and how far do you want to go. I'd want it to be close so I could watch the progress. Research it just like if you were going to have it painted and followup on references. Know what your buying. stitch or staple etc.

nolesfan said:
Also depends on the location and how far do you want to go. I'd want it to be close so I could watch the progress. Research it just like if you were going to have it painted and followup on references.

I agree 150% Always watch the process of any paint job as closely as you can, I see alot of Paint shops cut corners when they can, the job looks good when they are done but you wont know whats underneath.

I had a paint job done 3-4 hour flight (one way) away from my home and one day I dropped in on the shop unannounced...I had been told that the Plane had been stripped, Corrosion cleaned, and Was being prepped for Etch and Alodine (SPAM CAN)....WELL all I can tell ya was that when I showed up unexpectedly you should have seen the shop owners :oops: face :oops: and all that had been done was CONTROLS REMOVED!!!! After that he got a little better but we wont go into how long the 6 week paint job really took....

So Know who you are dealing with and watch your plane... :eek:

David.
P.S. To all the great shops and mechanics out there keep up the good work because you are few and far between as I know there are good people around this site and I dont want to offend the good ones!!!!!

Joe:

This isn't an endorsement, but I know that Kenny Blalock does lots of Cubs in Arkansas. He has an excellent website with lots of info on re-covering. It's a good place to start learning about the process. He specializes in the AeroTech process. If I were going to do my Cub again, I'd visit with him.

http://www.spava.com/

By the way, you should have joined us at Tradewinds for our TX tour that started on April 6. We had a blast.

murph

Back