• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hand prop the O-320 engine?

Marc Olson

GONE WEST
Seattle, WA
I got stuck out with a dead battery last Saturday, and after a couple of half-hearted attempts at hand-propping (I used to fly a J-3 with no electrics), I gave up and started looking for someone to give me a jump.

A mechanic mentioned that it's quite hard to hand prop the O-320, and my instructor also noticed that the prop was set to be vertical after shutdown, rather than canted 45 degrees to the left to enable easier prop'ing.

Any tips or tricks (or experience) with what to do if you get stuck with no juice?

T.J.'s directions are the same procedure I used on the J-3 (I prop from the back with my left hand in the door).

Time to get the prop re-indexed, and then practice this.

T.J. is right, it's a bit worrisome that you're recently inspected and purchased airplane appears to have an issue which may not have been brought to your attention... What else might have been missed? You might want to take it with George to go visit Tim B at Vaughan's... he's fussy and will tell you what's going on.

It's not normal to have to re-index a prop, is it?

It's not that uncommon. I bought a Clipper in WA last year and noticed a little vibration in cruise, also noticed the prop stopped in the wrong place. Reindexed it and got rid of the vibration and could hand prop it. The index information is not widely publisized in any manuals that I have seen.

Pay attention to your instructor.

Hand proping because you battery is bad is easy.

Hand propoing because you ran the battery down trying to start a flooded engine is a butt kicker.

If the prop is indexed properly, and the mag timing is right, impulse coupling good or on both mags? and you know your engine it is not a problem. I ran a no electrical cub for 10 years and not a worry with batteries, starters, belts, and weight!

Practice in the tie down! as the saying goes "dig your well before your thirsty"

Be safe,

Tim

Back